• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Keene are you? Show us your Katy comics!
3 3

100 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Ryan. said:
17 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Since this TV series looks like it's really geared towards the younger audience, I seriously doubt it's going to have much of an impact (if any at all) on the GA Katy Keene books.  hm  

A certain prominent dealer recently mentioned to me that he can't keep his Katy Keene or early Wilbur books in stock. I mentioned there was a TV show and he replied, "A-ha!". 

Personally, I believe the recent popularity in the Katy Keene books is more related to her riding the Archie wave of popularity, along with the increased interest in GGA related titles like Millie the Model, Tessie the Typist, Nellie the Nurse, Hedy of Hollywood, etc.; much more so than due to this upsoming TV series.  hm  (shrug)

12 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Personally, I believe the recent popularity in the Katy Keene books is more related to her riding the Archie wave of popularity, along with the increased interest in GGA related titles like Millie the Model, Tessie the Typist, Nellie the Nurse, Hedy of Hollywood, etc.; much more so than due to this upsoming TV series.  hm  (shrug)

I agree with you; however, in the instance I mentioned, there was a sudden spike in demand that is coinciding with the TV show now coming soon. In all likelihood, everything matters. 

45 minutes ago, Ryan. said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I agree with you; however, in the instance I mentioned, there was a sudden spike in demand that is coinciding with the TV show now coming soon. In all likelihood, everything matters. 

I think  you're both right plus there seems to be a growing interest in female type books in general and a lot of collectors looking for affordable genres to collect.  And to be honest, they're quite a charming genre to chase.

On 2/6/2020 at 7:08 PM, skypinkblu said:

1035088368_katykeene62cgc70reslab0001.thumb.jpg.131856c72d56aca60fe5908ae4b3a722.jpg

I see you posted this one earlier in the thread with lots of rings Sharon - did you get it redone at some point?

And does anyone have the octopus issue? I really like that cover. 

8 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I see you posted this one earlier in the thread with lots of rings Sharon - did you get it redone at some point?

And does anyone have the octopus issue? I really like that cover. 

Yes, Steve...I had about 32 books with rings "redone" last year.

I must have posted the "before" picture.

Here is your Octopus cover:)

katy keene 60.jpg

Looking for assistance from KK collectors.  A friend of mine sent me this pick recently. At first glance, it would appear to simply be the Canadian edition of Katy Keene 11. And perhaps that's all it is. But I was unable to find any information on it being the Canadian version of KK 11 (also pictured below). And the 'Wilbur.Archie.Suzie.' heading about the KK title is kind of throwing me off. I realize there were multiple KK titles, but my research has turned up nothing. Not even sure the $200.00 sticker he has on it is lofty, low or accurate.

KatyKeene11CanadianEdition.jpg

KK11Regular.jpg

On 6/25/2023 at 3:36 PM, BuscemasAvengers said:

Looking for assistance from KK collectors.  A friend of mine sent me this pick recently. At first glance, it would appear to simply be the Canadian edition of Katy Keene 11. And perhaps that's all it is. But I was unable to find any information on it being the Canadian version of KK 11 (also pictured below). And the 'Wilbur.Archie.Suzie.' heading about the KK title is kind of throwing me off. I realize there were multiple KK titles, but my research has turned up nothing. Not even sure the $200.00 sticker he has on it is lofty, low or accurate.

KatyKeene11CanadianEdition.jpg

KK11Regular.jpg

Looks like a Canadian edition to me (although I’ve never seen one before). Cool book and assuming that’s 200 loonies I’d buy it. 

IMG_9255.jpeg

IMG_9115.jpeg

IMG_5084.jpeg

IMG_9114.jpeg

On 6/26/2023 at 6:38 AM, ThothAmon said:

Looks like a Canadian edition to me (although I’ve never seen one before). Cool book and assuming that’s 200 loonies I’d buy it. 

John:

Do you have issue 11? If so, can you share a pic of the opening page? I'll see if it matches up with the Canadian edition. The DCM only has issues 1-9 uploaded, as 10 and beyond do not seem to belong to the public domain.

On 6/26/2023 at 7:09 AM, BuscemasAvengers said:

John:

Do you have issue 11? If so, can you share a pic of the opening page? I'll see if it matches up with the Canadian edition. The DCM only has issues 1-9 uploaded, as 10 and beyond do not seem to belong to the public domain.

Hello Tim. I might but we could both be a lot older before I find it. GCD had this which should help you compare by the stories  …

E679F5CE-EB6D-4669-85B9-FF9BE0E3684D.jpeg

On 6/26/2023 at 6:29 AM, BuscemasAvengers said:

That will likely work. Any theories as to why the 3 names (Wilbur, Archie, Suzie) are at the top of this Can. ed.? Just advertising other titles in the line?

That Canadian #11 is actually an issue of Pep Comics.  I'm travelling away from home right now so I can't confirm which issue but my recollection is that the contents are Pep #90.  So in answer to the main question about that issue, it's not a reprint of a Katy Keene issue.  The Katy Keene cover is the splash page from the Katy story.

On 6/26/2023 at 2:56 PM, lotemo said:

That Canadian #11 is actually an issue of Pep Comics.  I'm travelling away from home right now so I can't confirm which issue but my recollection is that the contents are Pep #90.  So in answer to the main question about that issue, it's not a reprint of a Katy Keene issue.  The Katy Keene cover is the splash page from the Katy story.

Thank you for this.  Actually, it seems the stories in my copy are all from Pep 82, which I place coming out sometime in mid-to-late 1950.

On 7/7/2023 at 7:41 PM, BuscemasAvengers said:

Awesome - thank you. Have you seen many of these around?

I haven't.  They seem to be pretty scarce.  I think the numbering may be part of the "Archie Series" that was published by Bell Features in Canada.  The series started with the U.S. Jughead #1 and continued by alternating issues of Archie's Pal Jughead, Archie's Rival Reggie, Archie's Girls Betty & Veronica, and Katy Keene.  This issue doesn't fit the normal pattern since it's not one of those titles but it may be part of the series.