• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,167 posts in this topic

I shoot for 20 packages a week which is about 4 books a day but I've had 300 books listed lately.  I bumped up my store to 1000 listing so let's hope that translates into 12 books a day out the door

"Listing Just Got Easier"

doh!

Gee, thanks Ebay, you just deleted all my templates and changed the selling forms into big clunky blocks all spread out making it much harder to quickly navigate around AND you also eliminated the "Buyer Requirements" settings from the selling form.

Has anyone else had this happen? WTH!??

14 minutes ago, jcjames said:

doh!

Gee, thanks Ebay, you just deleted all my templates and changed the selling forms into big clunky blocks all spread out making it much harder to quickly navigate around AND you also eliminated the "Buyer Requirements" settings from the selling form.

Yep. I recall being able to bypass it in the past but does not seem so now. I did note that when I started a new listing that the shipping info was already in there so that helped. And one step listing instead of a second page, but not a fan yet either.

On 5/4/2017 at 5:51 PM, 1Cool said:

I shoot for 20 packages a week which is about 4 books a day but I've had 300 books listed lately.  I bumped up my store to 1000 listing so let's hope that translates into 12 books a day out the door

Okay, things are selling faster now for me (and you too I hope). Last month I had one guy buy about 12 auctions, so that put me to my target pretty early in the month.

28 minutes ago, Bird said:

Yep. I recall being able to bypass it in the past but does not seem so now. I did note that when I started a new listing that the shipping info was already in there so that helped. And one step listing instead of a second page, but not a fan yet either.

The worst part is they eliminated the Buyer Requirement settings so now there's no way for a seller to avoid crappy-buyers with lots of policy violations and unpaid item strikes! >:(

4 minutes ago, jcjames said:

The worst part is they eliminated the Buyer Requirement settings so now there's no way for a seller to avoid crappy-buyers with lots of policy violations and unpaid item strikes! >:(

oooh, that is bad. I gotta go check that out. Are they maybe still under seller's preferences and just not showing on individual listings?

21 minutes ago, Bird said:

oooh, that is bad. I gotta go check that out. Are they maybe still under seller's preferences and just not showing on individual listings?

If you find it let me know. I couldn't find it anywhere.

Just now, jcjames said:

If you find it let me know. I couldn't find it anywhere.

It is all still under my seller preferences. It was a biatch to find though. I found something new while looking though...you can access the list of bidders who were blocked based on your set preferences (at least some of them, I had 6 and only 3 ids showed and the others were ***).

51 minutes ago, Bird said:

It is all still under my seller preferences. It was a biatch to find though. I found something new while looking though...you can access the list of bidders who were blocked based on your set preferences (at least some of them, I had 6 and only 3 ids showed and the others were ***).

I don't see or have a "seller preferences" section. I'm having to create new templates and I don't see that as an option.

Where do you find it?

Edited by jcjames

start at account (top left under your feedback score), then site preferences, then you should see buyer requirements

That is what I think is the way there. It was tough to find and I tried 3-4 times before finding it. I couldn't do it easily now again but it is there.

2 hours ago, jcjames said:

doh!

Yes, and I don't like it. I can't use colored text,  it's awful. Took me 3 tries to get Free shipping, they had put in the shipping cost. I clicked "free" it still showed a cost, you have to mark FREE and Set price...duh.

I had to list 2 electronic things. It was not easy.

That combined with the fact that I no longer get the same discount, because supposedly I wanted to advertise instead, is finally turning me off that place. 

I may do more listings next month, I may not.

I would like some help understanding something about Ebay.

I've noticed for a while now that there seems to be quite a large range in asking prices for the same book. I notice it more often in graded books, but it's also quite common for raw books. Person A might price his book at $100, while Person B prices the same book for $300. I never took any kind of business classes in school, but this seems like Person B isn't being too realistic. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there is some simple explanation that I'm not thinking of, but I'm just not seeing it.

When I sell comics on Ebay (and I don't sell a lot), I have know interest in setting a GPA record, or making a huge profit per book - in fact I bet I lose money on a good portion of the comics I sell.  It doesn't really bother me, I just chalk it up as the price of doing something I like. I never really got into bird watching or rock climbing so I needed a hobby that I liked doing. It just seems that if your book doesn't sell, you're wasting your time - whether you have a business or you're just doing it on the side.

Here are some examples...

$470

$695

$750

$1045

$175

$314

I'm sure there is a simple explanation. I just need someone to explain it to me.

Are older labels commanding a premium now?

If they were all the same price there would be no competitive market....If you see one sell at $470 and it goes into the sold listings, someone could see that and say $695 is not that much more depending on how deep there pockets are.

Also if the $695 is posted first, and someone see's that and says "I can sell it cheaper!" thinking someone would pay said $695 surely someone will buy mine quicker for $470, when in fact $470 is an outlandish price.....

Also depending on how much it cost the person to acquire the $695 CGC 8.0 FF49, $695 might be the price they need to make their money back.....they'll just leave it on ebay for a looooooong time and hope it sells....

1 hour ago, Gaard said:

I would like some help understanding something about Ebay.

I've noticed for a while now that there seems to be quite a large range in asking prices for the same book. I notice it more often in graded books, but it's also quite common for raw books. Person A might price his book at $100, while Person B prices the same book for $300. I never took any kind of business classes in school, but this seems like Person B isn't being too realistic. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there is some simple explanation that I'm not thinking of, but I'm just not seeing it.

When I sell comics on Ebay (and I don't sell a lot), I have know interest in setting a GPA record, or making a huge profit per book - in fact I bet I lose money on a good portion of the comics I sell.  It doesn't really bother me, I just chalk it up as the price of doing something I like. I never really got into bird watching or rock climbing so I needed a hobby that I liked doing. It just seems that if your book doesn't sell, you're wasting your time - whether you have a business or you're just doing it on the side.

Here are some examples...

$470

$695

$750

$1045

$175

$314

I'm sure there is a simple explanation. I just need someone to explain it to me.

Are older labels commanding a premium now?

I think that because ebay's reach for buyers is so great, a lot of the time it's sellers just hoping to get a very good price for whatever they are selling.  If there are only a couple examples for sale online, a buyer may just buy on impulse and overpay.  

I have seen some listings for ebay at outrageous prices for years. I'm talking about the same listing that just keeps rolling over. And not particularly popular titles that are just drawing attention to the seller. 

I think it stems from a bunch of factors.  Some sellers think Overstreet is king and price all their books at guide and they stick to it even if it takes forever to make a sale.  A lot of those high prices are BIN with offer so they assume everyone wants a sale so they assume someone will come around and offer 25% off and they still will make some good cash.  Or they bought a book for a LCS at hyper inflated prices and they just post the same price when they go to sell it.  But in a nutshell it boils down to it not costing much to list books in E-Bay (free for the 1st 50) so it really doesn't hurt to post up a few books at high prices in the hopes that a buyer will need your book for a gift and won't mind shelling out big bucks for the 1st copy they see.

Edited by 1Cool

8 minutes ago, jcjames said:

I think mistake is being generous when a sold listing gets relisted. But yes it is up again.