• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I pulled these out of a guy’s 2/$1 stock that I bought out. They had been to multiple shows and been left behind. I know nothing about the blues. Am I missing something here? Certainly don’t seem rare.

DE93C134-9C09-4E8A-9487-348FAC8259E7.jpeg

They are not rare. Don't believe anyone here. 

I will triple your money for you. (thumbsu

Just send me your paypal email I will cover fees and shipping.:wishluck:

4 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

They are not rare. Don't believe anyone here. 

I will triple your money for you. (thumbsu

Just send me your paypal email I will cover fees and shipping.:wishluck:

What am I? Chop livah!  Seriously he didn't make me an offer. :foryou:

On 4/30/2018 at 8:24 AM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Those came from my buddy John, who was set up two tables away from me. You should have come by and introduced yourself! This was me..............

31398039_2137379219621978_310482816003455859_n.jpg

So that's you in the center with the stylin' shorts, long gray beard and the hairy tattooed arms and back???  :baiting:lol

17 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

What does that even mean?

For nearly any issue with multiple versions produced at the same time, one is the standard and the rest are variants, technically. The exceptions being issues with "alternate" versions that were equally produced.

I think we need to define what “can't find” means.

It means that I define it as a variant, contrary to what was said.

There are not exceptions. One issue is designated as a base issue. Anything other than that is a variant. We would never know how many are produced of any comic.

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

It means that I define it as a variant, contrary to what was said.

My point was that nobody ever refers to either 90s gimmicks or their regular counterparts as variants, even though one of the versions technically is a variant.

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

There are not exceptions. One issue is designated as a base issue. Anything other than that is a variant. We would never know how many are produced of any comic.

Wrong. DC has made many issues with alternate covers that they have said were equal.

6 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

My point was that nobody ever refers to either 90s gimmicks or their regular counterparts as variants, even though one of the versions technically is a variant.

Wrong. DC has made many issues with alternate covers that they have said were equal.

:roflmao:Where's RMA?

Just now, ygogolak said:
7 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

:roflmao:Where's RMA?

Why? If the publishers say they're equal, how do you argue against that? Assigning one of them as the standard would be completely arbitrary.

This is not even close to being the same as trying to figure out incentive variant print runs from ratio numbers and NADM order estimates.

4 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Why? If the publishers say they're equal, how do you argue against that? Assigning one of them as the standard would be completely arbitrary.

This is not even close to being the same as trying to figure out incentive variant print runs from ratio numbers and NADM order estimates.

Not my decision. If it has a properly labeled UPC on it, one of them is a variant.

What issues specifically are you referring to?

12 hours ago, divad said:

And btw, what's the ancient guy on your left doing buying comics . . . he looks like he can barely afford Fancy Feast Salmon for dinner! :insane:

Dude, that was like half the turn out that day... the place reeked of ketchup and cooking oil, too. It was a pretty sad show, but I found some decent stuff. A lot of the people from around town who set up told me they didn't do nearly the business of past years. The youth presence was certainly lacking, this year. I was considering buying a table for this year, but I'm glad I didn't... might have ended up jading me on the whole experience.

Edited by BishopT

12 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Not my decision. If it has a properly labeled UPC on it, one of them is a variant.

What issues specifically are you referring to?

No. All "alternate" DCs have identical UPCs (Direct - XXX11).

I'm referring to stuff like Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, and a bunch of #1 issues in the 2005-2011 range.

On 5/2/2018 at 11:05 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I think we need to define what “wild” means

23 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

I think we need to define what “can't find” means.

"Books You Can, and Indeed DID, Find in the "Wild", By Which We Mean a Comic Shop, or a Comic Show, or eBay, or Anyplace That You'd Expect to Normally Carry Comics Like These Comics That You Found, Without Much Effort, Because They're Pretty Common (Plus Image Newsstands!)"

10 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

No. All "alternate" DCs have identical UPCs (Direct - XXX11).

I'm referring to stuff like Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, and a bunch of #1 issues in the 2005-2011 range.

Rebirth A / B are labeled as variants and have different UPC and distribution.

10 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Rebirth A / B are labeled as variants and have different UPC and distribution.

If you say so. (shrug) I gave up on DC when they announced the New 52 and cancellation/relaunching of all titles.

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
8 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Most of the Marvel "2nd issue variants" of the late 90s/early 00s were also produced in 50/50 splits. There would have been zero incentive for Marvel to make that not true by any statistically relevant numbers (that is, more than necessary for damages, for example, though likely not even then.) If they printed 80,000 copies of Captain Marvel (1999) #2, they almost certainly printed 80,000 copies of the variant #2.

The only reason we can identify one as a variant over the other is because of UPC box coding, but otherwise, there's no way to know which is the "regular" and which is the "variant." And, when the code wasn't properly input, there's no way to know.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

30 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Well, what do you know?!? Same collection from New Orleans. All unbagged. All blue. The few that were bagged had rings of blue but mostly black. I’m beginning to think heat/humidity might have something to do with this. hm

8F547F69-DD0B-4D95-90F6-A33355E4E43C.jpeg

The only joy I take from this is they are X-factor. meh