• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What if DC and Marvel were to merge?
2 2

33 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, TheAvenger80 said:

Would you want it? I know there have been crossovers but I'm talking about a legit 100% merge. Would it be good, bad, ugly? Discuss and theorize!

hm interesting topic... (and no I wouldn't want the house destroyed that Lee, Kirby, et al. built.)

I'll post some random musings to get everybody started:

Pros

- expanded pantheon of characters

- combined pool of writers, artists, editors, etc. would mean that the combined company could offer the best of the best

Cons

- differing philosophies on characterization, plot, art style, etc.

- lack of competition would create a monopoly and weaken the product

Isn't Time Warner getting absorbed in ATT?   Not sure why Disney would have much use for the DC Universe.  I doubt they want to make even more movies than they have on the boards now.

It might have made sense thirty years ago, but not now.

22 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Isn't Time Warner getting absorbed in ATT?   Not sure why Disney would have much use for the DC Universe.  I doubt they want to make even more movies than they have on the boards now.

It might have made sense thirty years ago, but not now.

Might make sense for Disney.  More superhero rides, stuffed animals, trinkets, all based on DC characters.  Disney is pretty good at monetizing their properties and Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and all the rest are pretty powerful ideas.

I think it would be bad in the long run with no competition.  I look at it like the glory days of wrestling when you had WCW competing with WWE in the early 90's.  The storylines were awesome as was the talent as they both tried to win the Monday night slot.

When WWE ended up buying out WCW I think wrestling as a whole went down hill fast.  I stopped watching shortly there-after.

The short answer... NO. 

Long Answer ... N. O.

I have seen the old and new crossovers, and while they are pretty not bad. I actually like the old X-Men/Teen Titans crossover back in the 1980s. For me, it is too much headache on so many fans everywhere if they do go merged as one. 

No fun when we are without fight. I need to have different opinions on superhero characters with others. 

Besides, I already quit reading or buying these new monthly comics years ago. 

9 hours ago, Brock said:

We could finally get that Elongated Man/Plastic Man/Elastic Lad/Mr. Fantastic team-up we've all been waiting for.

9 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

That's a lot of bouncy balls...snicker..

A fair comment, Jimmers.

Don't forget the new Ms Marvel as well, Kamala Khan. Actually a very good modern character.

Makes it less male-dominated, more inclusive, and more 21st century, though I do like my Silver Age.