• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to grade a laced or stitched cover

16 posts in this topic

I found a Terrors of the Jungle #19 in my LCS where a previous owner had (very expertly) laced or stitched the cover. In fact, there were many books apparently from the same collection with identical stitching. 

Two questions: has anyone ever seen this? How do I grade this? 

The TOJ was pretty darn nice otherwise. There was also a Weird Science #15 in similar condition. Thanks all.

TOJ19.jpg

TOJ19 Close.jpg

6 minutes ago, elibowman said:

Just a note, the covers did not appear to NEED this help. It seems this was "preventative maintenance". 

lol I'm not sure how they'd grade it but its pretty cool!  I would think the default for something like that would be .5 but I've never seen a stitched book graded!

4 hours ago, elibowman said:

Just a note, the covers did not appear to NEED this help. It seems this was "preventative maintenance". 

It appears the OO had two sets of holes, like maybe he decided to move the laces ? Any grade given would have to be qualified, otherwise you are talking about a really low grade. If the cover is attached by the laces, detached otherwise,  .5 is the grade.

23 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

It may be unique or cool at first but I think you would tire of them very quickly, they are not keepers. Personally, I wouldn't be interested. No matter what the grade, they will be a difficult sell.

If it's a tough book to find or to read,placehold and the price is right,i'm alright!

I certainly wouldn't want a stack of them..well,if cheap and interesting enough,who knows lol 

4 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

It appears the OO had two sets of holes, like maybe he decided to move the laces ? Any grade given would have to be qualified, otherwise you are talking about a really low grade. If the cover is attached by the laces, detached otherwise,  .5 is the grade.

No, that's the craziest part. Cover was well attached. Really, it was a very nice book otherwise. I believe the original owner WANTED his books laced. That had to take a lot of time. 

I have a few Walt Kelly's "Fairy Tale Parade" that have a few holes on the cover with yarn tied neatly in looping bows, much to the same effect as your stitched copy. They were only a few bucks at an antique mall mixed in mostly with children's books, so I bought them. Grading them would fall pretty much outside the established guidelines, but they're cool curiosities nevertheless.

1 hour ago, elibowman said:

Hey, @Ricksneatstuff any opinion on this book in particular? I don't know my GA bondage covers very well. $40 is pretty cheap for this book, but the lacing may kill that. I would probably only be a buyer to flip. It's WAY outside my wheelhouse.

$20 is the safe number here. Cool book but technical grade is really low with that lacing. I think $40 is the right price for him to be selling it at but not the best price to buy for a flip. 

5 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Remove the string  and you've got an otherwise nice looking book with a bunch of tiny holes in it.  I'd grade it a 2.0. 

I would not remove the string. At least the string gives it a little character. Bare holes are just that and less eye appeal. IMO, much like tape, it should be graded the same either way. The string does not 'hide' the flaw. 2.0 sounds about right.