• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most desirable Golden Age GGA comics?
2 2

75 posts in this topic

What do you believe are the top 5 most desirable GGA comics (Golden Age only?)...

I.e. in the superhero niche 1. Action 1, 2. Tec 27, and so on...

.. but what are the most desirable / valuable Good Girl Art books from the same era?

If you want valuable/most expensive I think it's 

1. Phantom lady 17

2. Seven seas 4

3. Phantom lady 23

4.  Spirit 22

5..... dunno

if you want desirable you'll probably get a different answer from every person on this board... I personally love the above list plus Cow Puncher 6 and 7, Torchy 3, every fox phantom lady, wings 94 and on and on ...

2 hours ago, szavisca said:

If you want valuable/most expensive I think it's 

1. Phantom lady 17

2. Seven seas 4

3. Phantom lady 23

4.  Spirit 22

5..... dunno

if you want desirable you'll probably get a different answer from every person on this board... I personally love the above list plus Cow Puncher 6 and 7, Torchy 3, every fox phantom lady, wings 94 and on and on ...

This is a good list.  I would add Brenda Starr 14 and Blue Beetle 54.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

This is mine. There are so many I could pick but these were the first ones that popped into my head. They could easily change if I thought about it again...

comgiantcom12.jpg

comphantomlady17.JPG

comspirit22a.jpg

comjunior15.jpg

comjojo11a.jpg

I knew I was forgetting one of the super expensive ones... giant comics editions 12 rounds out my top 5 valuable/pricey list... it could even be worthy of the number 2 or 3 spot.

I was basing my top 5 off my compulsive auction watching of the last 2 years... only recall seeing that one come up once, and even the opg has it at 12k (though that's not even half what it's really worth now).

Based purely on value as the gauge for desirability this would be my opinion. Now, some books, like Cinderella Love 25 and Giant Comics Edition 12, just do not come on the market enough to even make an assessment so I am going based on sales I have seen and offers I have had. I think the Seven Seas Mile High sale in the upcoming CC auction will put that book in the top 5 too, at least as far as the highest sales recorded for a GGA book.  I think Blue Beetle 54 would kick one of the books off my list below too. I don't have a copy of that one currently. Soo many other great contenders (All Top 16, Jo-Jo 25)

If you were to go based on what a solid mid-grade copy would sell for (like a 6.0) I think it is tricky. Phantom Lady 17 leads the pack for sure, but then it gets a little interesting. Personally, I think if that were the criteria, and we were comparing apples to apples at 6.0, Giant Comics Edition 12 or Cinderella Love 25 would be the next in value at that level, because of scarcity ($5k or better books). I am confident those books would sell for more than any of these others, except the PL 17. After that would be Blue Beetle 54 (which I don't have pictured because I don't have one currently) and then I think the Brenda Starr 14, PL 23 and Junior 15 are all fairly close in value in that mid grade range, although Brenda Starr 14 has had some very high sales in high grade. I am sure I am missing something. I am not classifying a lot of the big Fox books as GGA (Science 2, Mystery Men 10, etc) because if we do then it needs to be completely rethought and a lot would change. Does Startling 49 count as a GGA book? If it does it is a clear Number two behind PL 17 in my book. Also, I believe there are super rare (maybe non-existent) books that would shake this up too. If you have a true 6.0 copy of Teen-Age Romances 45 send me a PM please and I will give you Phantom Lady 23 money for it :baiting:

Some contenders

phantom lady 17.jpg

IMG_4530.JPG

fc.jpg

fc 6.0.jpg

IMG_4524.JPG

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

This is mine. There are so many I could pick but these were the first ones that popped into my head. They could easily change if I thought about it again...

comgiantcom12.jpg

comphantomlady17.JPG

comspirit22a.jpg

comjunior15.jpg

comjojo11a.jpg

Great Playlist RM! Your collection covers some of all the bases frequently discussed in the Gold Forum. 

Surprised no mention of the two 'it' girl covers now:  one with a blonde on a couch, the other a red head on the phone 

I purposely left Baker romance off my list, though maybe I should not have, because I wouldn't even call that good girl art... it's too tasteful and realistic, if that makes sense.

To me good girl art is more like the Betty Page-ish bombshells painted onto airplanes.  It's a little more cartoonish and exaggerated...more what people would refer to as cheesecake.

Not knocking Baker Romance at all, and I may just be arguing pointless semantics, but to me GGA and Romance comics are 2 different things.  There is a really fuzzy line between the two, and others may disagree I'm sure.

Edited by szavisca
Spelling

15 minutes ago, szavisca said:

I purposely left Baker romance off my list, though maybe I should not have, because I wouldn't even call that good girl art... it's too tasteful and realistic, if that makes sense.

To me good girl art is more like the Betty Page-ish bombshells painted onto B-17s.  It's a little more cartoonish and exaggerated...more what people would refer to as cheesecake.

Not knocking Baker Romance at all, and I may just he arguing pointless semantics, but to me GGA and Romance comics are 2 different things.  There is a really fuzzy line between the two, and others may disagree I'm sure.

I love ya man but I think I gotta put Baker in as GGA. :grin:

I hear what you are saying though.

"A cover illustration depicting an attractive young woman, usually in skimpy or form-fitting clothing, and designed for erotic stimulation. The term does not apply to the morality of the "good girl", who is often a gun moll, tough cookie or wicked temptress."

Copy_of_Teen-_Age_Romances_32.jpg

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

As it's been mentioned, Startling 49 is a tough call. As a category, GGA is already widely open to interpretation, even more so than something like the end date of the silver age. That would open the floodgates further...

Jo-Jo 25 would probably make my list, and honorable mentions include Rusty 12, Sunny 11, Phantom Lady 16 and so on. And what about Claire Voyant 3?? Man, could Kamen draw a cover...

2 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I love ya man but I think I gotta put Baker in as GGA. :grin:

I hear what you are saying though.

"A cover illustration depicting an attractive young woman, usually in skimpy or form-fitting clothing, and designed for erotic stimulation. The term does not apply to the morality of the "good girl", who is often a gun moll, tough cookie or wicked temptress."

Copy_of_Teen-_Age_Romances_32.jpg

Like I said... semantics... fuzzy line... anyway I'll try not to derail the original intent of the thread too much, but I think Baker romance transcends what I think of as gga...gga females are drawn in an exaggerated way that just scream look at me look at me.  Stories or themes are completely secondary to the sexy drawings.  

Baker romance women are much much more subtly sexy... more sophisticated, more artful.  That's probably why historically they took a lot longer to be appreciated...

Ill gladly put Baker romance into the most valuable sexy lady comic list... I just don't think of them as gga.  Semantics...

Btw the comic book you just bought from me, the one with the big boobs on the cover... it's in the mail now...

Edited by szavisca

As Far as the Action one of GGA is concerned it has to be Phantom lady 17. Startling 49 should count and be second I would think.

Also wasn't there a VERY high Spirit 22 sale at SDCC this year? Dont know that for a fact but someone told me a high grade was sold for crazy money. That could theoretically be third, Beyond that I think it might be to close to call as rick said.

Edited by dom_uh_nator
spellin

Thanks Rick! So to summarize...

1. Phantom Lady 17

2. Startling 49

3. & 4. Giant Comics Edition 12 & Cinderella Love 25

5,6,7 & 8 ... Blue Beetle 54, Brenda Starr 14, PL 23 and Junior 15 

?

Where might Seven seas 4 and Spirit 22 land in that list...

5 minutes ago, jabats said:

Thanks Rick! So to summarize...

1. Phantom Lady 17

2. Startling 49

3. & 4. Giant Comics Edition 12 & Cinderella Love 25

5,6,7 & 8 ... Blue Beetle 54, Brenda Starr 14, PL 23 and Junior 15 

?

Where might Seven seas 4 and Spirit 22 land in that list...

Based on recent gpa sales of comparable grade seven seas 4 still seems like #2...it goes like 4-5 times guide.  Youd  have to discount the 100k on the mile high 9.6 startling 49... but in comparable grade it is pretty close between the 2.