• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just saw something pretty awesome
2 2

66 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

we have a young guy who collects golden age horror comics that visits our booth at the Calgary Expo every year. He was 14 when we first met him.

IMG_0321_zpsjtwqfezo.jpg

Nice book along with a great shirt :headbang:

So did you beat him down on price? :jokealert:

Just kidding. That is very cool. There are kids out there who appreciate the "old stuff" thank goodness. A friend of mine's (not a collector)  13 year old son like pre-code horror and ECs. He's gotton a few but just doesn't have the money to buy money. I gave him a stack of EC reprints and a couple of beater originals. You'd think he'd just gotton a year off school. I often give him old books of all kinds and he is VERY happy. It's nice giving back and seeing that love of old books he has. Reminds me of my self at that age.

That's awesome! I shared a story a few months ago, about watching a kid (probably 14 or 15) with his Dad at my LCS, talking about the money he needed to buy a Planet comic off of the wall. He asked to see it, handled it very gently, and bought it. I know there's a lot of doom and gloom on the boards these days about mass sell-offs and market crashing, but there is at least a LITTLE bit of new blood coming into the hobby. And they have good taste!

I have often stated that will state again that when I go to the LCS I can hear over my shoulder kids talking about characters and the plans they have heard on the Internet or read about those characters in movies, upcoming video games and COMIC BOOKS!!!

Love these stories.  Reminds me of when I first started collecting at around 12 years old back in the mid 80s.  My dad would drive me and my friends to the local comic conventions in NJ typically at a Ramada Inn or the like.  There was this one dealer, Mario who would set-up, he had super long hair, and sometimes he'd have his girlfriend with him and we would always hang out and talk with him about comics.  He also taught me how to generally determine the grade of a comic. He would throw me free comic books from time to time. One time he grabbed me and said "I'm going to have lunch, can you watch my booth and sell some comics?"  It was such a cool experience going back there and "working". One of the many memorable things that stands out.  Always wondered what happened to him.

Yes, thanks DocHoppus for sharing! I think there's more kids out there like this than we think.

There's a flea market baseball card dealer near me who sells a lot of $1 readers and does not want to bother with anything else. When he buys collections, he has a 14-year-old who sorts them for him and sells the hot movie books etc on Instagram. They split the profits.

I met the young man one day and he told me how he bought an X-Men 1 and DD1 with his share. They are out there.

6 hours ago, F For Fake said:

That's awesome! I shared a story a few months ago, about watching a kid (probably 14 or 15) with his Dad at my LCS, talking about the money he needed to buy a Planet comic off of the wall. He asked to see it, handled it very gently, and bought it. I know there's a lot of doom and gloom on the boards these days about mass sell-offs and market crashing, but there is at least a LITTLE bit of new blood coming into the hobby. And they have good taste!

These are great stories to hear.

People should check out instagram. There a literally hundreds (maybe thousands?) of young people collecting comics from all eras on there.

14 hours ago, MustEatBrains said:

Love these stories.  Reminds me of when I first started collecting at around 12 years old back in the mid 80s.  My dad would drive me and my friends to the local comic conventions in NJ typically at a Ramada Inn or the like.  There was this one dealer, Mario who would set-up, he had super long hair, and sometimes he'd have his girlfriend with him and we would always hang out and talk with him about comics.  He also taught me how to generally determine the grade of a comic. He would throw me free comic books from time to time. One time he grabbed me and said "I'm going to have lunch, can you watch my booth and sell some comics?"  It was such a cool experience going back there and "working". One of the many memorable things that stands out.  Always wondered what happened to him.

Mario of Mario's Comics is still around.  I run into him at shows in the Southeast.  Still a character.  We used to do shows all the time back in the 80s in the NY/NJ/PA region.  Currently lives around Atlanta.

Did you happen to mention the CGC forums when talking to the kid? I always ask if someone is a member on the forum just in case I am talking to someone I see here all the time. Or to let them know the website exists to bring more members into the fold.

My guess is he does know about the forum-- especially if he is into GA-- the GA forum here has some of the most knowledgeable people in the hobby as regulars. Some times I hang out over there just to drool at some of the amazing books people have from that era.

2 hours ago, comicstock said:

Mario of Mario's Comics is still around.  I run into him at shows in the Southeast.  Still a character.  We used to do shows all the time back in the 80s in the NY/NJ/PA region.  Currently lives around Atlanta.

Thanks very much for that info.  If I'm ever around where he is setting up will be sure to visit if in the area.  Would love to catch up with him some day.

6 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

Did you happen to mention the CGC forums when talking to the kid? I always ask if someone is a member on the forum just in case I am talking to someone I see here all the time. Or to let them know the website exists to bring more members into the fold.

My guess is he does know about the forum-- especially if he is into GA-- the GA forum here has some of the most knowledgeable people in the hobby as regulars. Some times I hang out over there just to drool at some of the amazing books people have from that era.

Hey Dude, 

Honestly, I forgot to mention the forum, but I will definitely ask when I see him.  I know he's familiar with CGC because he mentioned the census.  So, he very well might already be here.