• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Influx of new sellers on the boards
2 2

167 posts in this topic

Is it just me or does there seem to be a large number of new board members that contribute nothing to the community but trying to sell their books? I get that there are quite a few people that do this for a living but from day one I felt a sense of community here on the boards and it kind of rubs me the wrong way when I see members like this. Am I the only one that feels this way?

I don’t mind it.  Their original intent may be to sell books but it also increases the likelihood of them contributing in the future.  I like to buy from the boards because most of the sellers know unrealistic eBay level prices won’t fly.  And if they try, they don’t stick around long.  There are a few “contributors” that have far more of a negative impact than any sellers I’ve come across.

14 minutes ago, Phicks1 said:

I don't sell books, but when this new website was setup, I could not get my old account to transfer over.  So based on my number of posts one would think I am a newbie.  But I have actually been here for many years.  Maybe some of these perceived new sellers are in the same boat?

Possibility. I'm not saying someone shouldn't be able to sell. I'm just saying I feel a lot of people are missing out on a wealth of knowledge because they're too worried about making a buck..

2 hours ago, comicquant said:

I don’t mind it.  Their original intent may be to sell books but it also increases the likelihood of them contributing in the future.  I like to buy from the boards because most of the sellers know unrealistic eBay level prices won’t fly.  And if they try, they don’t stick around long.  There are a few “contributors” that have far more of a negative impact than any sellers I’ve come across.

There are definitely a few doozies that's for sure!

19 minutes ago, Phicks1 said:

I don't sell books, but when this new website was setup, I could not get my old account to transfer over.  So based on my number of posts one would think I am a newbie.  But I have actually been here for many years.  Maybe some of these perceived new sellers are in the same boat?

Post in this forum linked below and the mods will help you merge your account.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/80-account-merge-requests/

Just now, Bighaley21 said:

Possibility. I'm not saying someone shouldn't be able to sell. I'm just saying I feel a lot of people are missing out on a wealth of knowledge because they're too worried about making a buck..

Are they trying to make a buck  or trying to trade in what they got for something better? Perhaps something neat they saw on the boards that had them re evaluate their collecting path. Maybe the boards turned a SA collector into a GA collector?

Perhaps your estimation is correct too, I don't know. I'd like to think the boards give collectors the push to chase the grails they really want.

I can think of one member who mops up in the sales forum, and won't say a word anywhere else.  That bothers me more than someone posting their wares, more choice is always a good thing.  However, I agree with the earlier point that a seller has to be in the community before I trust him enough to buy books.

5 hours ago, Bighaley21 said:

Is it just me or does there seem to be a large number of new board members that contribute nothing to the community but trying to sell their books? I get that there are quite a few people that do this for a living but from day one I felt a sense of community here on the boards and it kind of rubs me the wrong way when I see members like this. Am I the only one that feels this way?

You are not the only one that feels like this. Word must be out that the Boards is a cheap venue to sell. It really ticks me off when these first time posting sellers ask aggressive prices. Some further ask for 3% for Paypal. So, no fees, add 3%, and sell at max price. Nice.

9 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

You are not the only one that feels like this. Word must be out that the Boards is a cheap venue to sell. It really ticks me off when these first time posting sellers ask aggressive prices. Some further ask for 3% for Paypal. So, no fees, add 3%, and sell at max price. Nice.

At least some pretend to be a part of the community, so there's always that.

Not to be offensive, but the most successful recent thread had chk/mo only and no returns as his policy and also mentioned that he might not accept I'll take it as a binding agreement but just as the start of negotiations.

So it's really quite a varied lot of what goes on in the sales thread room members find acceptable. After a year and a half I'm still muddling through it with maybe just a few general rules.

4 minutes ago, grebal said:

Not to be offensive, but the most successful recent thread had chk/mo only and no returns as his policy and also mentioned that he might not accept I'll take it as a binding agreement but just as the start of negotiations.

So it's really quite a varied lot of what goes on in the sales thread room members find acceptable. After a year and a half I'm still muddling through it with maybe just a few general rules.

banana096.gif

I think that was the first time I ever saw someone post sales rules like that. I thought it was in jest, but I don't know. I also saw a nice guy who doesn't take returns on raw books, just slabbed books. So I've only bought slabbed books so far;)

We've had lots of people selling on the boards for many years,  who don't give much of a description, don't do back covers (or even windows;) and they have lots of customers. Usually the books are a good price. So I guess people are willing to risk it. 

I'm sure lots of us disagree with each other's grading, too. 

The only thing you can do is vote with your wallet...unless something is specifically against the rules, like asking for personal PP.

4 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I think that was the first time I ever saw someone post sales rules like that. I thought it was in jest, but I don't know. I also saw a nice guy who doesn't take returns on raw books, just slabbed books. So I've only bought slabbed books so far;)

We've had lots of people selling on the boards for many years,  who don't give much of a description, don't do back covers (or even windows;) and they have lots of customers. Usually the books are a good price. So I guess people are willing to risk it. 

The only thing you can do is vote with your wallet...unless something is specifically against the rules, like asking for personal PP.

I could be wrong but I'm almost positive neat stuff got that backwards, because in the past he had the exact opposite terms. I meant to tell you that in pm.

Edited by grebal

Just now, grebal said:
3 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I could be wrong but I'm almost positive neat stuff got that backwards, because in the past he had the exact opposite timesI could be wrong but I'm almost positive neat stuff got that backwards, because in the past he had the exact opposite terms. I meant to tell you that in pm.

All of this is why, always pay with a credit card, so when paypal fails you, you can recoup losses via your credit card company.   :preach:

And what are you still doing up Sharon?  :sumo: