• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which cover art of a non Key/Classic book would you like to own?
2 2

75 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Von Cichlid said:

I don't know if this is too key for this thread, but IMO, this is one of the most killer covers out there.  I pick this one up whenever it is priced right and in high enough grade.  Much of it's beauty comes from the contrasting blues and oranges, but the original's got to be great as well.  Chris Warner was always one of those artists who I thought was under utilized.  The Predator Big Game and Terminator 1,2, and 4 covers are awesome also.  I have no idea what was up with that Terminator issue 3 though!   

1059772-predator.jpg

Warner was definitely a fantastic copper artist. I loved Black Cross and just like you, kinda feel it's of key/classic status for this thread. But here goes

IMG_2472.PNG

This is an easy one for me. Lucio Parrillo's Vampirella #19. IMO, not only the best Vampirella iteration to date, but also the sexiest comic cover in the entire history of comics. I am actually really bummed out I didn't get a chance to bid on or buy the original. If it ever goes up for sale again, I will definitely make a significant sized bid to try and win it. The fact that the original is an oil painting as opposed to a drawing with pencil and ink makes it that much better. 

VAMPIRELLA-191.jpg.e3876dc16c3cd097f7abc5c707b5fd77.jpg

Edited by OrangeCrush

13 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Man, this cover takes me back and reminds me about the great quality of PC comics

Yeah, they really put out terrific stuff, and were beautifully produced. The 80's was a new golden age.

On 2/13/2018 at 12:57 AM, Von Cichlid said:

I don't know if this is too key for this thread, but IMO, this is one of the most killer covers out there.  I pick this one up whenever it is priced right and in high enough grade.  Much of it's beauty comes from the contrasting blues and oranges, but the original's got to be great as well.  Chris Warner was always one of those artists who I thought was under utilized.  The Predator Big Game and Terminator 1,2, and 4 covers are awesome also.  I have no idea what was up with that Terminator issue 3 though!   

1059772-predator.jpg

Have you seen the NECA comic action figure? It's pretty terrific.

predator-action-figure-25th-anniversary-dark-horse-comics-version-neca-usa-original.jpg

10 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

I agree. Reading PC in the 80s made me feel like I grew up in the 50s reading EC comics

yes, exactly!

9 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

This is an easy one for me. Lucio Parrillo's Vampirella #19. IMO, not only the best Vampirella iteration to date, but also the sexiest comic cover in the entire history of comics. I am actually really bummed out I didn't get a chance to bid on or buy the original. If it ever goes up for sale again, I will definitely make a significant sized bid to try and win it. The fact that the original is an oil painting as opposed to a drawing with pencil and ink makes it that much better. 

VAMPIRELLA-191.jpg.e3876dc16c3cd097f7abc5c707b5fd77.jpg

This Parrillo cat seems to really have a thing for squishy boobs. Not that I'm complaining.

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

This Parrillo cat seems to really have a thing for squishy boobs. Not that I'm complaining.

Yeah, his latest Vampirella release was definitely trying to recreate this cover in a slightly different manner and while its still a great cover, it doesn't come anywhere close to matching Vampirella #19, at least not IMO. 

Any of those 3. I had to choose a cover each for my favourite franchises: The JSA, the FF, and the X-Men. JSA was such a difficult choice, as there's so many great covers to pick from. I'm not sure this was the best option, but it's a great cover of both the classic JSA and Infinity Inc. For the X-Men I'd also go with a consolation prize of  Uncanny #356. One of the few Bachalo covers I really like, and it's a great cover of the 05.

39646-6211-44623-1-fantastic-four.jpg

Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_325 (1).jpg

Justice_Society_of_America_Annual_Vol_3_1.jpg