• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm scared of buying off ebay
1 1

69 posts in this topic

Just now, grebal said:

Thanks Lizard, I stand corrected!

Haven't bought from JS in a while, and anyway I meant someone else with that endorsement - I'll try to add the guy I mean that also begins with a "J."

I'm not specifically picking on you..., just adding my 2c

The tricky part of asking for advice on the CGC Boards is that many boardies can't grade either.  And there are several sellers here who use a different grading standard when selling on eBay.

25 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

The tricky part of asking for advice on the CGC Boards is that many boardies can't grade either.  And there are several sellers here who use a different grading standard when selling on eBay.

Who was the guy here in the last year or two who admitted ( after getting caught ) to grading looser on eBay because he felt their buyers weren't as sophisticated?

25 minutes ago, Logan510 said:
52 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Who was the guy here in the last year or two who admitted ( after getting caught ) to grading looser on eBay because he felt their buyers weren't as sophisticated?

I remember the discussion, but can't remember the user name.  Probably because I never ordered from him anyway.  I think that thread may have been more like 3-4 years ago, but my memory is terrible.

The mistake I make is assuming someone who sells a ton of slabs knows how to grade raws.  Bad assumption there.  But I must also assume they get lots of surprises back from CGC.

I'm not really sure what is going on sometimes - scamming, looser grading system for eBay, old school grading, bag grading, poor grading skills, poor vision, and/or poor light may all be reasons.  I try to give folks the benefit of the doubt, but it only takes a couple or three stings until I write them off, whatever the underlying reason (which I don't know) may be.  I spend enough time packaging up books I sell, without spending time on packaging up returns.

That being said, there are a lot of great awesome sellers both here and on eBay.

Edited by lizards2

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I remember the discussion, but can't remember the user name.  Probably because I never ordered from him anyway.  I think that thread may have been more like 3-4 years ago, but my memory is terrible.

The mistake I make is assuming someone who sells a ton of slabs knows how to grade raws.  Bad assumption there.  But I must also assume they get lots of surprises back from CGC.

I'm not really sure what is going on sometimes - scamming, looser grading system for eBay, old school grading, bag grading, poor grading skills, poor vision, and/or poor light may all be reasons.  I try to give folks the benefit of the doubt, but it only takes a couple or three stings until I write them off, whatever the underlying reason (which I don't know) may be.  I spend enough time packaging up books I sell, without spending time on packaging up returns.

That being said, there are a lot of great sellers both here and on eBay.

Yup. When I sell raws ( rarely ) I always grade conservatively because I want a happy camper...and I never pull the "I'm not a professional grader" karp.  I'm not a professional grader, but saying that in an eBay listing seems like such a cop out to me 2c

1 minute ago, Mystafo said:
1 hour ago, NoMan said:

a little, yeah, but I ain't no punk selling wolf-tickets.  

I can't lie, I had to look that one up!

Here the coon azzez say "Mais, if you scurred den say you scurred!"

I'm afraid to look any of that up..., :p

That’s true about feedback not being very reliable. I’ll admit that a couple times where I thought a book was undergraded I still left positive fb. It seems I actually end up blaming myself rather than the seller...which sounds hilarious now that I think about it. And a time where I bought a mag and it was shipped without any protection in a yellow envelope. But in that instance I sort of expected it. Perhaps I just have a very high tolerance for poor selling tactics. Come to think of it I’ve never left a negative fb. One time a seller deserved it...but still didn’t do it. A seller would have to really burn me to get a neg...so far nothing too rough as I mentioned earlier. 

35 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I don't recall who, but bottom line is that if you are not happy, the seller is forced to rake the return.

I used to buy a ton off eBay but since being introduced to the boards I do much more of my buying from reputable dealers, boardies or ComicLink.  What I've found is when I buy from a dealer like Bob Storms or Dale Roberts I get more for my money.  The times I buy from eBay I consider them more of a gamble.  Maybe theres a raw book that has some defects I can have pressed or cleaned and I end up getting a decent deal.  But when it comes to a price to quality ratio you can't beat the aforementioned.  Especially when it comes to harder to find higher grade books.  When you get into higher grade books eBay becomes the realm of ridiculousness.  20% to 50% above gpa is the norm so its pointless to even try.  There are people selling who will have true auctions now and then but those are few and far between and they're typically not the most desirable books.  Not that you can't find them on eBay but you have to spend a ton of time and be in the right place at the right time.  These days I keep my want lists up to date with my favorite online dealers, browse their new arrivals and keep an eye on the boards sales threads.    

Edited by comicquant

4 minutes ago, Logan510 said:
8 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

That being said, there are a lot of great sellers both here and on eBay.

Yup. When I sell raws ( rarely ) I always grade conservatively because I want a happy camper...and I never pull the "I'm not a professional grader" karp.  I'm not a professional grader, but saying that in an eBay listing seems like such a cop out to me 2c

If it helps any, I've cracked hundreds of slabs, and "consistency" isn't in the vocabulary of even the professional graders.  You're probably tired of hearing me say this, but you never know what is in a slab until you crack it out and confirm.

I don't know - I've been buying and selling books for 40+ years, and have sold a ton on here in the past 11+ years - should I be considered a pro?  I would have no problem with making that claim IF I could hide my work in slab that is likely to never be opened.  lol

There are some "non-professional" guys on here where the raw grading is more consistent than the stuff found in slabs - October, Johnenock, crassus and hippy Roy come to mind immediately.  I'm sure I'm forgetting some others.

6 minutes ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

That’s true about feedback not being very reliable. I’ll admit that a couple times where I thought a book was undergraded I still left positive fb. It seems I actually end up blaming myself rather than the seller...which sounds hilarious now that I think about it. And a time where I bought a mag and it was shipped without any protection in a yellow envelope. But in that instance I sort of expected it. Perhaps I just have a very high tolerance for poor selling tactics. Come to think of it I’ve never left a negative fb. One time a seller deserved it...but still didn’t do it. A seller would have to really burn me to get a neg...so far nothing too rough as I mentioned earlier. 

Yeah - I seldom complain about undergraded books, and always leave positive feedback when I get them. lol