• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 1
6 6

341 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Point Five said:

I've done that stuff too (believe me) but I honestly kinda think it's a fool's errand for the most part, and very hard to get any real data from. Even when comparing the exact same issue, in this high grade range both the grading consistency over time and the scan quality (magnifying defects in some scans, hiding them in others) can swing pretty wildly.

I dont know why I do it-it has never helped me and has hurt me every single time.  Every single time.  Stop doing that!!!

I even posted in a buudy can you spare a grade yesterday if you do that in the grading contest you will go down in flames.  :pullhair:

Edited by kav

1 minute ago, oakman29 said:

I wanna beat his butt.lol

oh god if we get the same score I feel sorry for you

Yeah--wasn't sure how they would treat a tear like that with the tape sort of fixing it-- and without being told it was completely torn off without the tape, I would have never guessed that either-- the bottom looked intact with the darker colors.

Should have at least stuck to the 2.0 I originally guessed but went 2.5 as I often under grade these weird ones-- thankfully I nailed the NM98 by pure luck-- never saw all the spine ticks people are going on and on about.

Another interesting round. This contest is always harder imo because you are dealing with scans through the plastic which seems to both add and subtract perceived flaws. Gauging that apparent grade that CGC assigned is much harder inside the slab. SO I don't get too upset if I am way off as I feel pretty good about how I grade with a raw book in hand.

Edited by 01TheDude

Just now, oakman29 said:

Always a bridesmaid , never a bride.:sorry:

-not even a bridesmaid.  maybe that little girl that tosses flower petals.

People are licking their wounds and preparing to go back into the ring for round 2.  Luckily we have this guy:

MV5BM2I0NDJjZWEtNTU5NC00ZWFjLThhYzMtNDUwNjIwMjliY2E1L2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjk3NTUyOTc@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1487,1000_AL_.jpg

39 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I put 1.8 on the hulk...

I knew with the art on the NM that picking out spine ticks are hard to see. I blew up the scan and guessed 7.0 lol

I guess I should have remembered that they were smaller than when I  blew up the scan.... ah so what is that a 3 and a -1, =2?

The bold/italic part might confuse some, but if I read it right, 5points for bullseye, 3 points for 1 off etc. 

I'll Just wait for the results

@thirdgreenham. I'll keep it simple and say

I'll try and do better :foryou:

35 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

The bold/italic part might confuse some, but if I read it right, 5points for bullseye, 3 points for 1 off etc. 

I'll Just wait for the results

@thirdgreenham. I'll keep it simple and say

I'll try and do better :foryou:

Now I understand.  Yes, should be a final score of 2.

7 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Wow, I had 1.8 and 8.5.  Incredible that NM98 came back a 9.4.  

yes I also ended up with a total score of 2 by guessing 1.0 and 8.5.  so sickening.  My initial gut was 1.0 and 9.4 then i kept looking for defects.

1 hour ago, kav said:

I dont know why I do it-it has never helped me and has hurt me every single time.  Every single time.  Stop doing that!!!

I even posted in a buudy can you spare a grade yesterday if you do that in the grading contest you will go down in flames.  :pullhair:

Come to think of it, the Hulk #181 is a textbook case in how looking at other slabbed copies can lead you astray. The same book, if slabbed before the changeover in rules regarding tape, would probably have graded a 2.0.

3 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Come to think of it, the Hulk #181 is a textbook case in how looking at other slabbed copies can lead you astray. The same book, if slabbed before the changeover in rules regarding tape, would probably have graded a 2.0.

likely higher 2c