• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Board upgrades? Aka The Airing of Grievances Thread
12 12

1,538 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, kav said:

If he strikes me down I shall become more powerful than he could possibly imagine.

Not if we burn your body and mix it with the vomit of 1000 virgins. 

7 minutes ago, kav said:

The thesis was "if you dont run this place, and you dont like how its run-leave"  I reductio ad absurdumed it using the civil rights movemen to show that that is a false viewpoint-you can be part of something you do not own, and criticise how it is run, in an attempt to make it better.  You dont have to love it or leave it.

Being born into certain circumstances which you cannot choose and choosing to be on a message board are not comparable “like it or leave it” situations, as you have suggested.  There are other online places to discuss comics, global warming, etc. and you can find a competitor that brings you more utility any time you like. It’s like leaving McDonalds to go to Burger King, not struggling for human rights. For the love of God man.

2 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

So now what do I do about my journal 5hat has lost every picture?

In fun only... promise. 

image.png.7ae28b5c3d3ab5fa6453caa2a3090b5f.png

Edited by Buzzetta

5 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Being born into certain circumstances which you cannot choose and choosing to be on a message board are not comparable “like it or leave it” situations, as you have suggested.  There are other online places to discuss comics, global warming, etc. and you can find a competitor that brings you more utility any time you like. It’s like leaving McDonalds to go to Burger King, not struggling for human rights. For the love of God man.

You missed the 'absurdum' part of the thing.  Any use of reductio ad absurdum can be met with "Thats a way exagerration!"
Thats the entire point of reductio ad absurdum.  You either see it or ya dont I guess.

I don't really see the problem.  Some things aren't worthy of being discussed, and you don't need the alternate viewpoint.  Like say you want to make a thread talking about how vaccines cause autism and spam your views on that.  Or pro-nazi talk.  Etc.  Sorry, you deserve moderation.  Some things are more important than your "freedom" to post nonsense, potentially harmful nonsense, on a message board.

Now where I would have a problem is this.  If someone made a thread about who the top comic book artist was of all time, (Kirby), and modded/suspended/warninged anyone who disagreed.  Now that would be worth complaining about.  But if you are spewing off about how humans aren't f'ing the environment, or masks drop your oxygen levels, or vaccines cause autism, then I'm glad you got moderated.

5 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

I don't really see the problem.  Some things aren't worthy of being discussed, and you don't need the alternate viewpoint.  Like say you want to make a thread talking about how vaccines cause autism and spam your views on that.  Or pro-nazi talk.  Etc.  Sorry, you deserve moderation.  Some things are more important than your "freedom" to post nonsense, potentially harmful nonsense, on a message board.

Now where I would have a problem is this.  If someone made a thread about who the top comic book artist was of all time, (Kirby), and modded/suspended/warninged anyone who disagreed.  Now that would be worth complaining about.  But if you are spewing off about how humans aren't f'ing the environment, or masks drop your oxygen levels, or vaccines cause autism, then I'm glad you got moderated.

What's your thoughts on getting a strike for posting an emoji, tagging someone, or mentioning global warming when there's a thread on global warming?

Just now, kav said:

What's your thoughts on getting a strike for posting an emoji, tagging someone, or mentioning global warming when there's a thread on global warming?

Highly deserved

1 minute ago, kav said:

First, I like you Kav.  And I might be in the minority there.

But The answer to all of those is the context.  I can imagine scenarios in which the first two might qualify.  Like say someone posted something truly awful, and you liked it.  You can take a strike for that too.  This may surprise you but you can get done up in real life for aiding and abetting off simple encouragement.  The third one may not even need context depending on what the comment was.

3 minutes ago, kav said:

This is twice I have seen you use this and am wondering if this will be seen as an attempt to push an agenda... you know what you are going to get? 2031630477_tenor(7).gif.6bd26ff27a360e49ce87af3ad4690d50.gif

2 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

First, I like you Kav.  And I might be in the minority there.

But The answer to all of those is the context.  I can imagine scenarios in which the first two might qualify.  Like say someone posted something truly awful, and you liked it.  You can take a strike for that too.  This may surprise you but you can get done up in real life for aiding and abetting off simple encouragement.  The third one may not even need context depending on what the comment was.

The first one was the hm emoji
The second was Just a one word post-tagging buzz.  thats it.
The third was mentioning GW.  Period.
Added to the now known moderators who have gone after me many times and well.....