• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many actual million dollar collections in the world?
2 2

41 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Longtime collectors?  I am close to letting go lol 

Again, I was on Zillow this weekend and crunching numbers. I could sell this place in NY, sell the comics, UPSIZE the square footage of a possible house in Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine or somewhere else where I can stare at the mountains all day for ONE THIRD the price and feed the deer, retire early, and be a walmart greeter just to get out of the house.

Check out Bozeman, MT if you are outdoorsy and like The mountains. It’s amazing gem of an area but surprisingly expensive. I was lucky enough to live there for about 4 years and hope to retire there. Plus they have a Walmart 😂

11 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Again, I was on Zillow this weekend and crunching numbers. I could sell this place in NY, sell the comics, UPSIZE the square footage of a possible house in Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine or somewhere else where I can stare at the mountains all day for ONE THIRD the price and feed the deer, retire early, and be a walmart greeter just to get out of the house.

all i can say as a guy who grew up in nassau county is that leaving long island was one of the best things i ever did. you probably wont regret it. 

10 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Check out Bozeman, MT if you are outdoorsy and like The mountains. It’s amazing gem of an area but surprisingly expensive. I was lucky enough to live there for about 4 years and hope to retire there. Plus they have a Walmart 😂

Bozeman real estate is pretty out of control imo.  I, like Buzzetta, enjoy window shopping on Zillow and have looked at Vermont, New Hampshire, and Montana many times.  Also North Carolina near the Smokies.  Bozeman was surprisingly expensive, but I did like some of Montana closer to Glacier.

10 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

Bozeman real estate is pretty out of control imo.  I, like Buzzetta, enjoy window shopping on Zillow and have looked at Vermont, New Hampshire, and Montana many times.  Also North Carolina near the Smokies.  Bozeman was surprisingly expensive, but I did like some of Montana closer to Glacier.

Missoula and Boise are my back up if Bozeman gets out of control even more. I like my solitude but I’m not sure I could handle anything other then Bozeman or Missoula in Montana. Butte isn’t the nicest place if I recall and everything else is just too isolated for my taste...

5 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

Missoula and Boise are my back up if Bozeman gets out of control even more. I like my solitude but I’m not sure I could handle anything other then Bozeman or Missoula in Montana. Butte isn’t the nicest place if I recall and everything else is just too isolated for my taste...

I was in Bozeman from 2005-2009

Edited by Xenosmilus

16 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:
31 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

22 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Do it,  my friend.  Yolo

22 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I'm sitting on my patio, staring at the snow capped peak of San Jose mountain, just over the border in Mexico.  The house next door is on the market at $109,000 and has four bedrooms, a Florida room, two baths and like mine, it borders a large church property so no neighbors.

Only thing missing is a walmart. 

1 hour ago, Xenosmilus said:

Fair.  I grew up in Los Angeles, then lived in major cities in China for 10 years, and since 2014 have been in and around NYC.  So all I have ever really known are hyper-cities.  Hence my dreams of acreage, horses, and vistas I've only seen in computer games and westerns.  I think I could handle the isolation, though really don't know.  My wife would probably have more issues with it.  

I was talking to my friend in NY this weekend. He turns 55 in May and is retiring.  He and his wife own an  $800,000 house free and clear, and a condo in Florida with a $25,000 mortgage.  His pension will be in the high 80s, and if his wife retired now, hers would be worth about $45. 

She insists that she needs to work six more years so she can retire at 62 with a $70,000 pension. She insists they don't have the money for them to retire. They currently own four cars in NY plus one they keep in Florida, all paid off. They could easily get $3500 a month if they rented out the LI house and they would have to get by on $175K a year for a few years until SS would kick in. They have over a half million in the bank, and $20,000 in stocks because stocks are so risky.

23 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

That sounds like hell.

On 2/14/2021 at 12:50 AM, HotKey said:

I was reading the Mile High story and it got me wondering, just how many collections are out there worth 7 figures or more?

I couldn't find anything aside from articles on specific big collections, no large data sets. If I had to guess I would put it at less than a couple thousand though. A million bucks is 1,000 books worth $1,000 each, that is no small feat!

What's the mile high story 

12 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

all i can say as a guy who grew up in nassau county is that leaving long island was one of the best things i ever did. you probably wont regret it. 

That's the same thing the Islanders said...