• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do semi common printer defects affect your buying a book?
1 1

19 posts in this topic

So I passed on a beautiful 5.0 FF 49 because I saw there was a printer defect on Galactus. There is a dot on his helmet above the visor. 

From what I have seen this is on like 5% of books. 

Does this kind of thing prevent you guys from buying a boon typically? I can’t tell if I’m being too ocd or not.

8DE169B2-2B21-4838-BD51-294EDFD7FFBF.png

47 minutes ago, Venomous72 said:

So I passed on a beautiful 5.0 FF 49 because I saw there was a printer defect on Galactus. There is a dot on his helmet above the visor. 

Does this kind of thing prevent you guys from buying a boon typically? I can’t tell if I’m being too ocd or not.

No. Hideous 1/4 inch white spine miswraps are a turn off.

8 hours ago, Venomous72 said:

you passed on a bargain for THAT????....that doesn't bother me at all......I would've not noticed, and chances are most people won't notice it too.

off-center cover, whitespine on the other hand.....that will trigger me

For the grade and price it’s negligible. Something like ink spray would be worse.

My OCD and psychotic-level pickiness really kick in for NM grade and the stress of the associated nosebleed price.

That was before the recent explosion in key comic book prices. Now it wouldn’t work for me at all.  I wouldn’t be able to find a presentation vs price sweet spot.

Something I empathise with.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

For the grade and price it’s negligible. Something like ink spray would be worse.

My OCD and psychotic-level pickiness really kicks in for NM grade and the stress of the associated nosebleed price.

That was before the recent explosion in key comic book prices. Now it wouldn’t work for me at all.  I wouldn’t be able to find a presentation vs price sweet spot.

Something I empathise with.

I prefer the original myself, it seemed much more spontaneous 

50 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

I prefer the original myself, it seemed much more spontaneous 

Yup. Much better.  Couldn’t find it on YouTube or share that TV version from Daily Motion on my phone, sadly.  :frown:

Edited by Ken Aldred

It all depends on the defect, but this particular instance, I seriously doubt I would have noticed at all. Particularly gnarly bindery tears, or pronounced roller marks, sure, I'd notice that. But this one, no, not an issue for me personally. But at the end of the day, you are collecting for yourself. If it bugs you now, it would likely bug you the entire time you had the book. 

Umm shame on you for passing up on a great book because of THAT!

Printing defects I don’t care at all about if they appear on my comics include:

1. Printing creases

2. small marks like the ones originally posted, be they ink spots or colour loss spots 

3. Small holes at bottom of interior page

4. Ink overspray (so long as half the comics isn’t soaked)

5. Miswrap

ill take the above flaws any day over some I despise like stains, detached cover and or page, 

2 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Umm shame on you for passing up on a great book because of THAT!

Printing defects I don’t care at all about if they appear on my comics include:

1. Printing creases

2. small marks like the ones originally posted, be they ink spots or colour loss spots 

3. Small holes at bottom of interior page

4. Ink overspray (so long as half the comics isn’t soaked)

5. Miswrap

ill take the above flaws any day over some I despise like stains, detached cover and or page, 

That's fair for sure.  For some reason I get mildly obsessive over weird things on books but I am working on not caring as much.  

On 5/5/2021 at 10:28 PM, Venomous72 said:

That's fair for sure.  For some reason I get mildly obsessive over weird things on books but I am working on not caring as much.  

These covers would probably bother the very OCD type but they came back 9.8 so all is good!👍 Discoloration line down the middle of the first one and overlapping most of the face on the second.

20210128_221715.jpg

20210128_161627.jpg