• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, DR.X said:

First of all you forgot to call me last night and give me Shannon's number. Second, make sure you never play me in Trivia pursuit. I'll destroy you.

You can't even remember what you ate for breakfast;) AND she's too young for you, lol.

Isn't it also a buyer's incentive to not want the sale price listed? In some cases yes, but in others where they are getting a good deal they would definitely want to keep that information to themselves. There's just too many variables to accurately keep an aggregate on raw sales. GPA is limiting already with sales tax now thrown in and ebay coupons.

39 minutes ago, manetteska said:

How do you think “sold by PM” sales will go as far as reporting? That’s a good portion of GA sales. Think 50% reported? More/less?

I think close to 50% of my sales are by PM.  People put together a package buy offer or want some time payments or in some cases just don’t want their purchase Made public. 

I would probably not get around to reporting all of my sales into a database.  I have trouble enough remembering to make invoices.  

It almost needs to be someone separate doing it who has a motivation to do so, like an extension of GPA or GoCollect. 

Also, I think your topic of conversation is fair and that is what these boards are for.  I have no ill will regarding it. I welcome any form of criticism if it is rational and able to be reasonably discussed.  :foryou:

15 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I think close to 50% of my sales are by PM.  People put together a package buy offer or want some time payments or in some cases just don’t want their purchase Made public. 

I would probably not get around to reporting all of my sales into a database.  I have trouble enough remembering to make invoices.  

It almost needs to be someone separate doing it who has a motivation to do so, like an extension of GPA or GoCollect. 

Also, I think your topic of conversation is fair and that is what these boards are for.  I have no ill will regarding it. I welcome any form of criticism if it is rational and able to be reasonably discussed.  :foryou:

That would make sense. I'm not sure it would be worth their time though.

1 hour ago, DR.X said:
1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

I've always had  a good memory for minutia. I used to remember page numbers, I was really good at trivial pursuit;) ...but let me walk into a store with a shopping list...I don't even remember where I put the list;) It's getting worse as I get older, lol. Now I don't remember the page numbers or the lists;)

First of all you forgot to call me last night and give me Shannon's number. Second, make sure you never play me in Trivia pursuit. I'll destroy you.

Go easy on Sha, remember she's getting older...

10 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

With all due respect, you're calling out a seller who's done nothing wrong according to board rules or rules in any marketplace.

I feel your frustration with all the wheeling and dealing and flipping but that's how the hobby has evolved, there's money to be made and a good portion of board members are looking for under-priced books and books they can make money on.  Witness all the threads devoted to spotting market trends and hot books, threads devoted to finding deals at garage sales or flea markets or in $1 boxes, and all the board sales threads.  Do you really think most guys here wouldn't snap up a book they could flip for a 50% or $500 profit?   

For Rick to do what he does he's clearly spending a lot of time searching out under-priced books, he clearly understands the GGA market better than most or all of us because I guarantee you that there are dozens or hundreds of guys watching ebay and every other market for deals, he's taking risk buying books on ebay and he's willing to do the work listing them here and shipping them.  

Well stated. 

10 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

With all due respect, you're calling out a seller who's done nothing wrong according to board rules or rules in any marketplace.

I feel your frustration with all the wheeling and dealing and flipping but that's how the hobby has evolved, there's money to be made and a good portion of board members are looking for under-priced books and books they can make money on.  Witness all the threads devoted to spotting market trends and hot books, threads devoted to finding deals at garage sales or flea markets or in $1 boxes, and all the board sales threads.  Do you really think most guys here wouldn't snap up a book they could flip for a 50% or $500 profit?   

For Rick to do what he does he's clearly spending a lot of time searching out under-priced books, he clearly understands the GGA market better than most or all of us because I guarantee you that there are dozens or hundreds of guys watching ebay and every other market for deals, he's taking risk buying books on ebay and he's willing to do the work listing them here and shipping them.  

Your calling out a poster who has done nothing wrong according to board rule's...et cetera et cetera.

Edited by Bird
maybe I just like to argue too much, providing a mirror to other's actions

11 hours ago, thehumantorch said:
19 hours ago, manetteska said:
19 hours ago, Pontoon said:

So, the gripe is the book sold on ebay and now a seller here is asking more money? Who is the seller? Where is the thread?

That is the nuts-and-bolts, yes, but there is more nuance to it.

I understand "a seller can put any price he/she wants on a book, etc etc" and that is not my point. I also understand he is not the only one to use the boards in this way but he specifically has caught my attention multiple times across multiple pre-boards venues.

The idea of the boards as a "community" is no longer relevant, but situations like this turn members here into pure dollar signs.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/447354-new-books-now-frazetta-baker-schomburg-cole-decarlo-action-batman-joker-cover-science-fiction-gga-crime/?do=findComment&comment=10586009

To clarify:

I never said the seller violated any board rules. I am not sour about people selling for more money than they purchased an item for. That is how the hobby -- and the world -- works. I purchased several items from you when you acquired the large Steranko/Fanzine/Magazine collection. I have no doubt the price I paid (which I did happily) was more than you paid (once broken down to a per-item level).

I stated I saw (repeated) behavior from a board member -- noting the 50% markup -- and that I would not do business with that seller again. I did not disclose any names. I was asked for more information, publicly, not through PMs. This led me to believe people were interested in this topic. By providing evidence it follows the seller would be identified.

My opinion:

The seller says a lot about the hobby and the community but his actions don't follow suit. The seller purchased a book in a very public, open manner for $900 (i.e. FMV), decided it was not good enough for him (his own words), so he listed it as a "board exclusive" for $1350. He purchased a book off another board member then put it up for sale on the boards (at a markup of course) a week later. And more examples.

I remember feathers ruffled when items from the Jon Berk collection were quickly back up for sale. I also believe if this was an ASM 300 bought on eBay for $400 then listed here for $600 a week later by a random boardie there would be "call outs". Perhaps it is the allure of Cool Books which makes this seller above others.

1 minute ago, october said:

The quick flip isn't always the best look

You clearly do not mean this comment as a shot at Rick, so why take the comments of "people" in that vein? (I know the answer actually, fundamental attribution error and such). Rick has been nice to me and I appreciate the advice he has given when I once sought him out for that purpose. You can hate the game but not the playa! Also, just because something is not wrong don't make it right. People are inconsistent by definition and you, me, Rick and everyone else here are inconsistent in our beliefs at times and we may even have contradictory opinions about the same subject at the same time. Rick seemed to generally take the comments in this discussion without "butthurt" and said something along the lines of the fact that it was a fair topic to be discussed. One disservice is making it only about his behavior and no one elses another is to consider the subject taboo even if generally done respectfully.

I am a flipper. I flip comics that I buy cheaply for more than I paid. I buy many for that reason and that reason alone so that I can keep some. That doesn't mean that I don't see fault in that type of behavior (I suffer from the fundamental attribution error as well as the next guy) when the dollar amounts get a bit crazy.  When higher dollar amounts are involved perceptions change. And people can have different opinions as well without getting labeled or getting the pitchforks out. Case in point, that AF15 that went from $21K in a purple label to $100K+ in a blue label - lots of varied opinions on that. Discussion about sale, especially in the general discussion thread about sales, should be welcomed and encouraged when done respectfully. But we all draw lines in different places. (I was asked about an earlier comment in a PM and still would only allude to who I was talking about!)

It’s called arbitrage, and Rick is pretty good at it.  I admire him.  I think it was in the Gerber photo journals that I read Gerber actually paid for his collection from the profits on books he sold.  So maybe we have some “recency bias” and this is not as new a thing as it appears.  Given the readily available data on sales prices these day, such arbitrage is even harder than the good ole days. 

Perhaps if we change the label of collector to dealer it makes more sense?  I too like the camaraderie and concept of the message board exchanging good will with other collectors. I prefer to offer here before selling elsewhere.  But conduct a little experiment.  Pass on some good deals on the sales thread and see how fast they are scooped up – then note that 80% of the sales went to 20% (3-4) of the buyers.  It’s not even possible to share all good will evenly among members (interesting idea – make the rules of a sales thread limit 2 per buyer – or mandatory 6 hr. wait time?).  Some will go to collectors, some will show up for sale again (and again...).  Heck if there was no flip'n going on, there would be slim pickin's indeed.  Its cover vs. inside stories; slab vs. un-slabbed; pressed vs. non-pressed. I think its great we all enjoy the same hobby and healthy for the hobby that there are differences in everyone’s approach.

Edited by path4play

Interesting thought experiment.

Say I have 10 nice GGA golden age books that I got a good deal on a couple of years back for $100 each.  Being a good fellow, and willing to share my good fortune with the community, I decide to offer them up on the boards.

Good Samaritan scenario A: I consider a 50% gain reasonable for me and a nice buy for board members so I post them one by one for $150 each.  Result: they are snapped up in seconds by 2-3 different buyers to disappear into a hoard or be flipped and I’ve made a tidy $500 to buy another comic.

Bad flipper scenario B: I find based on prior sales the books are “hot” and have 5x the current market value I originally paid.  I post them one by one for $500 each.  Result: they are carefully purchased to be cherished by 10 different buyers over the days members check in.  The comics fill holes in runs or build on desirable portions of a members collection. The sales have re-affirmed the books values among other collectors and I’ve made a tidy $4,000 to buy more comics.

Which scenario is healthier and better for the comic community?

Edited by path4play