• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

@telerites

thanks for the kind words.  It’s not so much that the book has gone missing, it’s the complete lack of interest in at least attempting to make amends.  The complete dismissal “it’s lost, here’s your money back, GFY” that burns me up. 

While I’ve never lost a book, I have some it on eBay and then it resold on my site Bc I forgot to take it down.

However, I handled the situation completely differently, explained what happened, apologized and then offered a discount on a future purchase.  Guess what happened?   Buyer came back and bought a different book WITH the discount.  Win win! 

I believe this seller has been called out for questionable selling prior to this incident.  And yeah, an apology does go a long way. 

50 minutes ago, Columbia Comics said:

However, I handled the situation completely differently, explained what happened, apologized and then offered a discount on a future purchase.  Guess what happened?   Buyer came back and bought a different book WITH the discount.  Win win! 

And this is why you have a 100% rating and a respected, quality seller reputation.  All good points made above.

18 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Lately, I’ve seen the phrase “and he didn’t even apologize!” pop up repeatedly both here and in the CG eBay threads. I’m inclined to ask: is a seller apologizing to you really that important?

If the seller refunds your purchase price and shipping both ways but neglects to use a phrase like “I’m sorry”, “my fault/bad”, “please forgive me” you’re actually still going to be dissatisfied?

Or, conversely, taking the phrase literally, if you got no refund and are stuck with an item you don’t want BUT the seller verbally gets on bended knee, apologizes profusely and begs your forgiveness, you would actually walk away satisfied because ‘at least he apologized’?

I get that it’s nice to have a seller acknowledge our dissatisfaction with an apology. But if a seller completely refunds my money, provide a comparable replacement, has the book re-slabbed or in some other way ‘makes it right’,  honestly, I personally could care less whether he apologizes or not. 

And likewise, if he fails to make it right, all the apologizing in the world seems hollow to me. 

I occasionally make mistakes when selling on eBay. Like selling a book I sold three years ago or something along those lines. When that happens, I apologize profusely to the buyer, for I have wasted their time, and it's my fault. I like to think that's appreciated. 

9 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

What does new-to-market mean, anymore? 

@Ricksneatstufflegit question for you since you sell so much here, what do you mean when you call books new to market?

To me, that suggests books coming from some original owner. 

I sell so much here that when I say “new to market” I am referring to the fact that they are books I have not offered before. Most of the times they are books that have not been offered on the boards or it has been many years since they were anyway.

I can see the perspective of “new to market” meaning true OO books being offered to. That is not what I am referring to or I would mention OO collection.  

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

5 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

What does new-to-market mean, anymore? 

@Ricksneatstufflegit question for you since you sell so much here, what do you mean when you call books new to market?

To me, that suggests books coming from some original owner. 

New-to-market is a term of art that means not previously available to the public.

If a book has previously been for sale on eBay, Comicconnect, Comiclink, HA, on a dealer's website or at a comic convention it is NOT new to market. 

It will normally apply to original owner books or collection finds. Just because a dealer has not listed a book for sale before does not make it new-to-market.

I have bought a lot from @Ricksneatstuff. He tags people on his sales announcements and I always take it to mean "hey, I'm having a sale and some of these books I haven't offered before".  I think he's an experienced seller enough to mention if it were an OO collection.

If I really want text book definition of "new to market " I'll check out Heritage , CC and the like. 

12 minutes ago, Casablanca said:

I have bought a lot from @Ricksneatstuff. He tags people on his sales announcements and I always take it to mean "hey, I'm having a sale and some of these books I haven't offered before".  I think he's an experienced seller enough to mention if it were an OO collection.

If I really want text book definition of "new to market " I'll check out Heritage , CC and the like. 

Because he's an experienced seller I assume he would want to use correct terminology. 

18 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I sell so much here that when I say “new to market” I am referring to the fact that they are books I have not offered before. Most of the times they are books that have not been offered on the boards or it has been many years since they were anyway.

That's not "new" to market. Not sure why anyone would use that terminology anyway unless it was literally applied to the an original owner collection or pedigree that (again literally) had never been offered on the comic market before. Is saying "new to market" a sales tactic that makes people salivate? oooh, new to market. Must be ultra special. (shrug)

By the way, "New to market" could also be used to describe old comics that have been baking in someone's attic in Georgia for the last 50 years.  

EDIT - Or. what Red84 said three posts above doh!

Edited by Jeffro™

To anyone above who feels strongly about the use of “New to the Market” my intention was to let people know the Planet Comics, in this case, were new offerings from me to this market. Honestly, nothing is really ever “new to the market” since the book was purchased at some point, even if it were just for 10 cents. 

Since this is so offensive to some I have changed the title of my most recent sales thread to reflect that the books are new to the market “FROM ME”. I hope this clears up any confusion or angst that I could have caused with my misleading terminology of “New to the Market”. Personally speaking, if any other seller here uses the words “New to the Market” to describe their sales thread I will now ask the moderators to remove the thread as misleading advertising. I don’t think any of us need to stand for this kind of thing anymore. I’m glad that people here have decided to take a stand and now that I’ve seen the error of my ways I can shake free the weight of carnyism, perhaps not a word but you get the idea, and move forward.

22 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

To anyone above who feels strongly about the use of “New to the Market” my intention was to let people know the Planet Comics, in this case, were new offerings from me to this market. Honestly, nothing is really ever “new to the market” since the book was purchased at some point, even if it were just for 10 cents. 

Since this is so offensive to some I have changed the title of my most recent sales thread to reflect that the books are new to the market “FROM ME”. I hope this clears up any confusion or angst that I could have caused with my misleading terminology of “New to the Market”. Personally speaking, if any other seller here uses the words “New to the Market” to describe their sales thread I will now ask the moderators to remove the thread as misleading advertising. I don’t think any of us need to stand for this kind of thing anymore. I’m glad that people here have decided to take a stand and now that I’ve seen the error of my ways I can shake free the weight of carnyism, perhaps not a word but you get the idea, and move forward.

So what this all means is you were trying to say "New to MY market";) I think I knew that.

It's too bad we can't put flashing neon signs in the sales threads, imagine what fun that would be ;) ?

I bought a big pile of inexpensive comics a few weeks ago, that were supposed to be an "Original Owner Collection".  I didn't really care that they were because it's not like Gold Key Mickey Mouse or a zillion Harvey Richie Rich books would be a "pedigree" collection and I don't think resto is much of an issue on $2.00 books, but I had been thinking of eventually selling some of them. There are tons of doubles, and more than I can fit in the closet I wanted to use for storage.

So I was trying to figure out if it's really an "original owner collection"..and if that means something to people. Then I started looking at dates. The guy (who probably bought all the Gold Keys "off the rack" as he said) is 57 years old, some of the books are from the 50's, so he was buying them before he was born?

That's probably why I'm commenting, lol...I was thinking about what this OO collections really meant in the first place. To him, it apparently meant that he bought the books at some point.

It's going to take me a month or so before I finish counting pages and reading the books I want to look through, so I can think about this for a while...

48 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Or you can fall back on hyperbole, overreaction, and defensiveness. The whole point of this thread is DISCUSSION. No one is making any mandates and trying to tell you how you should run your sales threads. If you want to continue to use the term, then use it. 

1 hour ago, Jeffro™ said:

Or you can fall back on hyperbole, overreaction, and defensiveness. The whole point of this thread is DISCUSSION. No one is making any mandates and trying to tell you how you should run your sales threads. If you want to continue to use the term, then use it. 

Hyperbole

Anyone who uses that word is intellectually integrated.

Fwiw I wasn't trying to out Rick. For me, my understanding of the phrase is what others have said, so I found it confusing for books that most likely have been through at least one person's hands post-original owner. I tagged Rick because I was curious to hear from him and because I didn't want to give the impression that I was talking about someone but not naming that someone because naming is shaming bla bla bla.

Edited by DavidTheDavid

9 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:
6 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Hyperbole

Anyone who uses that word is intellectually integrated.

Intellectually integrated?   hm I gotta chew on that one.  It's a new to market phrase  to me

our sub division is having its yard sales this weekend. everything is new to market.