• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to best display high value comic books
5 5

89 posts in this topic

Think About risk and reward . What can happen to your book that cost thousands of dollars as opposed to the reward of having a few people recognize it for what it is . 

I don't leave thousand dollar bills laying around my apartment for people to admire and I wouldn't do that with my comics either . Very few people appreciate books and to have a comic laying out in the open and the light and exposed just doesn't make sense to me.

The overwhelming majority of visitors to my apartment couldn't tell Spider-Man one from the Shazam one, and giving that one person a special tour of my books is a thrill.

This thread intrigued me to read so I figured I'd chime in. I understand both arguements and would absolutely love to display my original comics. However, I just can't I don't feel the benefit is there. Posted below are 13x19 scans in my office at work and I proudly own all 4 of these Amazing Spider-Man issues with AMS #1 just recently acquired last week. I feel perfectly alright having these beauties displayed on the wall knowing that the originals are safe and I can always take them back out to look at anytime I want. As long as I know I own them and the prints remind me of what I own that's all I care about!

IMG_5824.JPG

IMG_5825.JPG

24 minutes ago, mustang33guy said:

This thread intrigued me to read so I figured I'd chime in. I understand both arguements and would absolutely love to display my original comics. However, I just can't I don't feel the benefit is there. Posted below are 13x19 scans in my office at work and I proudly own all 4 of these Amazing Spider-Man issues with AMS #1 just recently acquired last week. I feel perfectly alright having these beauties displayed on the wall knowing that the originals are safe and I can always take them back out to look at anytime I want. As long as I know I own them and the prints remind me of what I own that's all I care about!

IMG_5824.JPG

IMG_5825.JPG

Very smart choice. I mean a scan of your books are still your books, they just aren't in harm's way.

I have books such as Hulk 181 9.2 custom framed . They have hung on my walls for years without any issues or fading. They are behind UV masterpiece glass and in a locked room without windows. As someone who sees the actual book as the artifact or artwork I'm happy with my decision.  

As someone with direct experience in doing this I can say if its done right there shouldnt be any issues. The Hulk 181 has been up there for about 8 years with zero damage. 

In fact I have a 9.2 Cap 100 and 9.2 Thor 126 getting framed this week. One of these days I'll uploade a few photos. 

Edited by shane1956

On 6/4/2017 at 1:21 PM, shadroch said:

Think About risk and reward . What can happen to your book that cost thousands of dollars as opposed to the reward of having a few people recognize it for what it is . 

I don't leave thousand dollar bills laying around my apartment for people to admire and I wouldn't do that with my comics either . Very few people appreciate books and to have a comic laying out in the open and the light and exposed just doesn't make sense to me.

The overwhelming majority of visitors to my apartment couldn't tell Spider-Man one from the Shazam one, and giving that one person a special tour of my books is a thrill.

I have art that is worth something hanging on my walls.  If you view it as art, why not?  Put it behind UV protective class, have it live inside mylar.

I'm also of the opinion that I'd like to showcase my "wall-worthy" books in person, although my most expensive books are just cracking 4 figures (and I wonder if my attitude would change once I got into $10k+ books).

I like the idea of:

- Keep in a room with no natural light, where lights (non-UV LED bulbs) are rarely on (to me, lines up well with the "mancave" ideal, no family room / living room)

- Put slab in some kind of UV-protective glass for extra protection

Is this a good as locking away in a box / vault that never sees any light? No, but I have to think the impact is minimal enough to outweigh the "benefit" that I get from looking at the actual comic more easily. Everyone has different "utility curves" though in terms of that cost/benefit analysis.

As long as you have it behind uv glass you should be good to go.  You can buy frames with the us glass already in them from custom art shops or if you have a frame you like already you can have a piece of uv glass cut to replace the glass that is in there right now.

On 6/19/2017 at 3:29 PM, oakman29 said:

Very smart choice. I mean a scan of your books are still your books, they just aren't in harm's way.

Agreed Oakie, scan your books or OA, put it in cheap frames and display those.  Looks just as good and your books are safe from theft and environmental damage.

You can display it if you wish. Just follow some simple rules:

1. Avoid direct or indirect sunlight. 

2. When you purchase your frame, make sure you are using museum quality glass that protects against damage from UV rays. This is very expensive, but well worth it. DO NOT go cheap with regular glass or plastic. If you spent tens of thousands on a book, I can't imagine you'd be dumb enough to keep it in an $8 frame. 

3. Consider security. Slabs are very easy to conceal and transport. If someone recognizes it for what it is...

The UV glass will greatly mitigate any potential damage from light exposure. 

That being said, I prefer to entomb my slabs in the dark. I enjoy the scans, and if I really want to enjoy the book...I remove it...spend some time with it...and put it back. I never keep my slabs on permanent display. 

But you're right...you spent the money on the book..enjoy it however you wish. :)

I display a lot of fine art on paper in my house.  The key is keeping it out of direct sunlight and UV protection.

Here's where I differ from many on this thread:  Do NOT use UV protective glass.

Use UV protective acrylic

Glass can shatter and puncture your art.  Acrylic will not.  Plus, it is lighter and thus is less of a load on your hangers.

These days, you can also pay the price for a very cool non-glare acrylic which is a joy to behold.  An amazing product.  Now standard of care for Museums.

https://tru-vue.com/solution/optium-museum-acrylic/

Edited by sfcityduck

Do whatever you like, but the argument that you don’t lay 1,000 dollar bills around your house is just silly.  

1000 dollar bills aren’t as cool as a comic book worth 1000 dollars. 

I display my books and usually just change out what books are displayed every few months just to keep them out of “harms way” meh

Crack out valuable books, scan, put scans back in slabs, randomly intersperse liberated books into funny animal/Defenders/Rom boxes, display slabs with scans.

Wash/rinse/repeat :banana: 

4 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I display a lot of fine art on paper in my house.  The key is keeping it out of direct sunlight and UV protection.

Here's where I differ from many on this thread:  Do NOT use UV protective glass.

Use UV protective acrylic

Glass can shatter and puncture your art.  Acrylic will not.  Plus, it is lighter and thus is less of a load on your hangers.

These days, you can also pay the price for a very cool non-glare acrylic which is a joy to behold.  An amazing product.  Now standard of care for Museums.

https://tru-vue.com/solution/optium-museum-acrylic/

Good call on the glass.