• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay Managed Payment System
2 2

281 posts in this topic

What happens if you send the item and the payment does not clear?

I always wait until the payment clears but there's never been a problem.  I just make sure I ship no later than the eBay 'ship by' date.  I've learned to like the new system.  It took some time to figure out everything but it works well for me.

30 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

What happens if you send the item and the payment does not clear?

I don't know that it ever happens in today's payment systems.  I believe, as you are paying, a cursory check is made electronically that there is sufficient balance in whatever charge account you are using. 

I have had a payment I was making rejected mid-process, no reason given.  Then I saw that I was using the wrong card, one that didn't have that kind of room on it to be successfully completed.  So I changed to the right card, and it went through just fine.  Never got a specific reason on the failed attempt, just said something like "we cannot complete this transaction at this time".  Another time I tried tried using a PayPal debit card, figuring that even though I had a zero PayPal balance, it would just draw from my checking account.  That failed, too.  I would have to have had a PayPal balance high enough to allow the debit.

And I suppose it is possible for eBay to later find out that the payment failed for some reason.  I don't know how they handle that situation.  Might be part of the Seller Protection, that once they ok it to ship, they will cover it.  Knowing eBay, that doesn't sound like them, though.  More likely it'll be a hit to the seller, their "go to" move.

Maybe someone has had some experience with that scenario, negative or positive, and will let us know.

On 2/4/2021 at 12:34 AM, skypinkblu said:

I probably will sign up because I have a few things to list...but I'm past their "warning" which I think ended 1/26.

I was in the same boat. I ignored the 12/31 deadline, then the 1/26 deadline, and got a final warning that it had to be done by 2/1. I skipped that, too. I can edit my existing auctions, but I tried to list a new one yesterday and was denied.

You would think you'd be denied when you start an auction listing, but no... they let you fill everything out, and when you submit, you get a note at the top of the page telling you NO LISTINGS FOR YOU.

So I’m revising some of my items, adjusting prices etc and I just noticed there’s an option for immediate payment? So, if I select this, can I get payment straight to PayPal even when signed up for the managed payment program? Asking here instead of taking a chance on doing something wrong.

Starts here for me in 2 days

I'm quite looking forward to having paypal out of the equation unless i decide to use them.

Having been frozen twice in 3 months due to errors with their software - and having to wait ages to unfreeze funds - bring it on.

Only issue I have is with e-chqs.

They take up to 10 days already to clear - and if they don't your item can be off the market for 2 weeks before you can relist.

I have no idea how this will affect tax paid, if at all, as ebay just take 10% GST for Aussie buyers from abroad but nothing from domestic sellers.

I have a feeling this will be the first step towards the Aussie Govt getting their chare at source, rather than at tax return time.

We shall see! :wishluck:

1 hour ago, BishopT said:

So I’m revising some of my items, adjusting prices etc and I just noticed there’s an option for immediate payment? So, if I select this, can I get payment straight to PayPal even when signed up for the managed payment program? Asking here instead of taking a chance on doing something wrong.

I believe this option is for Buy it Now listings. If someone “buys” your item they must then pay immediately. They cannot buy it, have it removed from your available listings, and then sit on paying for a few days (or never). Still goes through Managed Payment. This option has been available for some time. 

On 2/5/2021 at 11:06 AM, F For Fake said:

Well, one month into Managed Payments, and I'm pretty much hating it.

With Paypal, I could have the money from my PP account into my checking account in seconds.

With MP, it's taking several days. Once I get paid, the funds show as "pending" for a full day. Then they spend a full day as "available". Then another day they are "paid out". And then finally, the next day, the money is in my account. And weekends don't count, so if I get paid on a Friday, I don't actually get that money until Wednesday. I have my account set to "Daily" payouts, but "Daily" is hardly what is going on here.

It's absurd, as eBay is surely collecting money on our money in that interim. There is no reason on earth why it should take that long for the funds to clear. And I know that because if it's money going from me TO them, it goes right away. I had my first return under managed payments a couple of weeks ago. I approved the refund, and the money was out of my checking account THE NEXT MORNING. So clearly they can get this money in and out as fast as they like, and are artificially inflating the processing times.

The ONLY thing I like about it is that they deduct their fees up front, so I don't have to worry about setting money aside to pay my monthly invoice. Again, it might be nice to have a choice as to when i pay my eBay fees, but for someone who is absent minded like myself, it's actually a convenience to know that my fees are already taken care of, and I don't have to pay an invoice at the end of the month. But that is the only plus, for me personally.

I'd love to be done with them, but they're still the only game in town, when it comes to the sort of stuff I sell. I do some occasional business on FB marketplace, and even Craigslist here and there, but eBay still destroys those for the number of eyeballs you get on your items. And that's why they have us over a barrel. 

I appreciate you writing about this, in particular the payment "gap" now as opposed to before. I was still selling a bunch of graded comics so I kept delaying making the change until last week. I won't be posting more sales for probably about a month, but was definitely wondering how long it will take now to actually have my funds available. 

Agree on the ease of not forgetting about the monthly fee being withdrawn, especially since some months end up being much more than others. However, the ease of getting paid with PP and having the money instantly available is the biggest hit for me and most sellers I'm sure.

I bought an item last night. Made an offer, seller accepted, and less than five minutes later asked me why I hadn’t paid yet haha. I thought it was funny and went to pay. Received an error stating “seller can’t accept payments, contact seller.”

Contacted him and he said it was due to this new system. He cancelled the sale today.

Good old eBay, leaving it up to buyers to pressure sellers to comply.

42 minutes ago, wormboy said:

I bought an item last night. Made an offer, seller accepted, and less than five minutes later asked me why I hadn’t paid yet haha. I thought it was funny and went to pay. Received an error stating “seller can’t accept payments, contact seller.”

Contacted him and he said it was due to this new system. He cancelled the sale today.

Good old eBay, leaving it up to buyers to pressure sellers to comply.

Wow, I'm sure that is going to happen a lot. Maybe I missed it somehow, but I don't remember ever expressing to ebay in any form such as a survey, that I did not want to use PayPal anymore - regardless of the fees that they seem to focus on in all of the recent announcements about the change. Because of the overall ease, safety, and worst case scenario of getting screwed by a seller, in the end I can rely on PayPal to settle the score and they have when ebay has not. I have bought and sold for quite some time there and see this as more of a negative for the seller going forward, especially with clearance times.

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

On 2/4/2021 at 1:57 PM, Lightning55 said:

I don't know that it ever happens in today's payment systems.  I believe, as you are paying, a cursory check is made electronically that there is sufficient balance in whatever charge account you are using. 

I have had a payment I was making rejected mid-process, no reason given.  Then I saw that I was using the wrong card, one that didn't have that kind of room on it to be successfully completed.  So I changed to the right card, and it went through just fine.  Never got a specific reason on the failed attempt, just said something like "we cannot complete this transaction at this time".  Another time I tried tried using a PayPal debit card, figuring that even though I had a zero PayPal balance, it would just draw from my checking account.  That failed, too.  I would have to have had a PayPal balance high enough to allow the debit.

And I suppose it is possible for eBay to later find out that the payment failed for some reason.  I don't know how they handle that situation.  Might be part of the Seller Protection, that once they ok it to ship, they will cover it.  Knowing eBay, that doesn't sound like them, though.  More likely it'll be a hit to the seller, their "go to" move.

Maybe someone has had some experience with that scenario, negative or positive, and will let us know.

I have had no issues either. I have to imagine that you are correct in that the Payments made to Ebay are verified in some way. I tried for about 30 seconds to see if they had some info on returned/bogus funds but has that been an issue anywhere as far as electronic payments? 

I like it as it deducts the Ebay fee from the payout. If you print labels through Ebay, it will deduct from the payout or next payout.

I opened up a checking account with Capital One in November. No fees. I timed it with a promotion they had. ($400 for making two direct deposits). I would look around for other offers like that and take advantage. 

I linked my new, free checking account to Ebay and can pay from there as well so it functions as a Paypal replacement on both ends.

It took me longer to write this post than to open and link the checking account. It is just  a replacement for Paypal and when I buy on here, I have that specific checking account linked to Paypal as well so if you are looking to keep comic money separate, there is an easy solution.

On 2/5/2021 at 2:06 PM, F For Fake said:

Well, one month into Managed Payments, and I'm pretty much hating it.

With Paypal, I could have the money from my PP account into my checking account in seconds.

With MP, it's taking several days. Once I get paid, the funds show as "pending" for a full day. Then they spend a full day as "available". Then another day they are "paid out". And then finally, the next day, the money is in my account. And weekends don't count, so if I get paid on a Friday, I don't actually get that money until Wednesday. I have my account set to "Daily" payouts, but "Daily" is hardly what is going on here.

It's absurd, as eBay is surely collecting money on our money in that interim. There is no reason on earth why it should take that long for the funds to clear. And I know that because if it's money going from me TO them, it goes right away. I had my first return under managed payments a couple of weeks ago. I approved the refund, and the money was out of my checking account THE NEXT MORNING. So clearly they can get this money in and out as fast as they like, and are artificially inflating the processing times.

The ONLY thing I like about it is that they deduct their fees up front, so I don't have to worry about setting money aside to pay my monthly invoice. Again, it might be nice to have a choice as to when i pay my eBay fees, but for someone who is absent minded like myself, it's actually a convenience to know that my fees are already taken care of, and I don't have to pay an invoice at the end of the month. But that is the only plus, for me personally.

I'd love to be done with them, but they're still the only game in town, when it comes to the sort of stuff I sell. I do some occasional business on FB marketplace, and even Craigslist here and there, but eBay still destroys those for the number of eyeballs you get on your items. And that's why they have us over a barrel. 

Yes to everything you've said, but especially the bold.

Deducting fees and shipping as you go is a benefit. I find it annoying on how eBay times some things though. Several times, I have run into no funds available for shipping becuase eBay just made a payout. The shipping is then taken out of my checking which somewhat negates the simplicity of having all fees deducted before sending me funds. I have changed to weekly payouts to avaoid this (eBay keeps my money longer), but still have it happen. I have a multi-year history of sales. Its not hard to see there is little risk of floating $5.00 in shipping fees. Besides, they still have my checking account. 

I changed over to shipping with PirateShip.com, which is a free service.  The rates are about the same, still commercial pricing.  Some are a dime more, some a bit less, and they offer cubic pricing for Priority. 

I bring this up because you have some control of the money, as opposed to eBay.  You can load a specific amount of money into that account, like $50, or $100, and draw it down.  No little hits to your checking account or proceeds.  And it's money that eBay doesn't get, which always gives me a good feeling.

If you ever use insurance beyond the USPS provided amount, it's pretty cheap there - 80 cents per $100.  I do keep eBay's pricing in mind as I use Pirate Ship, and on occasion I will switch back on a per order basis, like for international.  But mostly it's Pirate Ship for me. 

They also have a great search function for past labels, and good reporting for what you have spent to date.  Best of all, they don't mess with the interface.  At least twice a year eBay will go in and move everything you are familiar with, just to mess you up, with no benefit to function.  Just some programmer justifying his job, making unnecessary "improvements".  Really don't miss that clown show.

Edited by Lightning55

Well, day one of MP - don't know what to think at the moment.

Not much volume - $135 of sales - so a manageble start.

We have daily payouts - but not in account yet - I'm guessing midnight?

I HATE that the checkout icon doesn't show up.

I'm finding I'm double checking on the old format (which I saved as a bookmark and is still running) to tally with the new format.

It all seems to be working - but I probably won't relax until funds hit the bank.

What happens with a cancelled payment?

I ask as I have an e-check pending and it only shows on the old format - the transaction doesn't exist on the new 'managed payment' format.

#confusedaboutecheques

7 minutes ago, Beige said:

Well, day one of MP - don't know what to think at the moment.

Not much volume - $135 of sales - so a manageble start.

We have daily payouts - but not in account yet - I'm guessing midnight?

I HATE that the checkout icon doesn't show up.

I'm finding I'm double checking on the old format (which I saved as a bookmark and is still running) to tally with the new format.

It all seems to be working - but I probably won't relax until funds hit the bank.

What happens with a cancelled payment?

I ask as I have an e-check pending and it only shows on the old format - the transaction doesn't exist on the new 'managed payment' format.

#confusedaboutecheques

Would also like to know if...

On refunds PayPal still takes their cut resulting in the seller paying out of pocket? Has it gone back to the way it was? That since it is going to bank and not PayPal, it is fully refundable and no longer out of sellers pocket?

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Would also like to know if...

On refunds PayPal still takes their cut resulting in the seller paying out of pocket? Has it gone back to the way it was? That since it is going to bank and not PayPal, it is fully refundable and no longer out of sellers pocket?

Managed payments refunds the entire amount including fees less the 35 cent per transation fee. It is better than Paypal.

5 minutes ago, Shrevvy said:

Managed payments refunds the entire amount including fees less the 35 cent per transation fee. It is better than Paypal.

Sigh of relief! I dont mind having to wait for money or having it in bank account instead of PayPal, or not as much as requiring Ebay to side with me on every transaction...... if that makes sense

If I need to give a refund for any reason or even mistake on my part, it's better that i can do so without the further sting of what was occurring  :tonofbricks:

Knock on wood, but snap that would have been the needle that broke this sellers back!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I think there are some nice positives to managed payments. Refunds are one of them. Although, that never should have been an issue with Paypal. eBay siding with sellers is easier than Paypal siding with sellers. I have had disputes awarded in my favor by eBay only to have Paypal refund buyers. This now stops with eBay. Even if you think eBay can be unreasonable, you now only have to get through one "unreasonable" party instead of two. Paypal was always a black hole for me. At least I could talk with someone at eBay. Not that it matters much, but most of the above is from selling non-comic merchandise.