• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Hulk #181 (Grade In -10,000th Copy)
1 1

23 posts in this topic

I just started getting back into the comics and decided to pull some of my more valuable books for grading. This Hulk 181 looks great to me but I'm not sure how that translates to CGC. The scan of the back makes it look much dirtier than it appears to the naked eye. Would a press\dry clean help? Let me know what you guys\gals think.

IncHulk%20181%20Front2_zpswqqtbedx.jpg

IncHulk%20181%20Back2_zpspczd9zh0.jpg

Edited by Sdmeyer11
Grade Update

It looks in good shape :) 

my Gut says 7.0 but it's got to be higher than that..... 7.5 8.0 maybe just because of the fanning and the issues that usually results with a book like that....like pinholes, off-white pages...dirt etc??

I'd give it a 8.0 but CGC is different entity haha

Hopefully you get some feedback, great looking book!!

1 hour ago, Sdmeyer11 said:

I was shocked when I saw the scans because I feel they make the book look worse. I didn't even notice the fanning until I saw the scan...I know that seems odd. No pinholes but the pages are off-white.

Then I'd stretch to 8.5 without the dirt, but I've had coppers that looked like this that came back 7.0... I don't really see any spine ticks....it just looks "worn" or less crisp, maybe taken care of but we'll read? Idk

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Yeah, it's a great book, very fresh looking, but that pair of very small stains near the bottom staple could be hammered (an expression I picked up here) by CGC, possibly jamming you into the high 6 territory.

I've notice a lot of defects when looking at my scans after I graded a comic, and my eyes missed stuff that the scan reveals or even exaggerates - particularly with whites (like back covers).

Dry-clean and press will go a long way, especially in removing some of the loose grime on the back cover.  Pressing can help with the fanning since its a post manufacturing roll as opposed to the structure of the book.  As others have mentioned the stains on the back cover (looks like a grease stain in the yellow coupon) will detract quite a bit.  I'm also at a 7.0.

On 9/23/2017 at 10:58 AM, BuscemasAvengers said:

Press and clean puts it into the 7.0-7.5 range, maybe an 8.0 if the planets align ... nice copy ... what else are you "pulling out" of the stacks?

Amazing Spiderman 129, 238, 252 and 300...Hulk 180, Captain America 100, Giant Size Spiderman 4, New Mutants 87, X-Men 94, 137 & 266....just to name a few. :)

So, the grade is in and this one turned out to be special. If anyone saw it on Facebook, this copy turned out to be the 10,000th Hulk 181 graded by CGC. I sent it out for a press (3rd party) and then off to grading. If you saw the Facebook post about this book it came back as an 8.0. After they made the Facebook post I was contacted and told the graders thought a press would help (even though I had it pressed) and they offered to press and regrade which I kindly accepted the offer. Well, the book came back as an 8.5 after re-pressing. I can't say enough about this experience with CGC, they were great to work with. Thank you to Brittany and everyone at CGC.

20171221_140730_zpsybjstt9r.jpg

34 minutes ago, Sdmeyer11 said:

So, the grade is in and this one turned out to be special. If anyone saw it on Facebook, this copy turned out to be the 10,000th Hulk 181 graded by CGC. I sent it out for a press (3rd party) and then off to grading. If you saw the Facebook post about this book it came back as an 8.0. After they made the Facebook post I was contacted and told the graders thought a press would help (even though I had it pressed) and they offered to press and regrade which I kindly accepted the offer. Well, the book came back as an 8.5 after re-pressing. I can't say enough about this experience with CGC, they were great to work with. Thank you to Brittany and everyone at CGC.

I indeed saw it on Facebook! I posted about it in the Hulk 181 club in bronze! So glad that it belongs to a fellow boardie :) !!!! That is an unexpected but AWESOME surprise! 

On 12/21/2017 at 2:17 PM, Sdmeyer11 said:

That's a cool story and a nice touch by CGC . I trust, in the future, you will send your books to be pressed by CCS instead of a 3rd party individual.  Without debating the quality of pressing, I really think there is advantage to getting a freshly pressed book to the graders as soon as possible.    

On 12/21/2017 at 1:17 PM, Sdmeyer11 said:

That's cool, didn't realize they noted milestone grading #s like that.
Has anyone see other examples of this?