CGC Grader Notes
What are CGC Grader Notes?
When CGC graders examine a collectible, they often enter comments about its condition. These "Grader Notes" describe problems, indicate the condition of the interior pages and help explain why a collectible received the grade it did. After the first grader enters notes and their grade, the next grader can review those notes and can make any additional notes. For collectibles with the purple CGC Restored Grade label, Restoration Notes are given that describe the location and type of restoration. These notes are a valuable part of the grading process, and CGC now allows Grader Notes to be obtained online.
Sample Grader Notes
Some commonly used CGC Grader Notes include:
- Right Center Front Cover Lite Fingerprints
- Top Spine Water Damage
- Left Center Back Cover Moderate Erasure Mark
- Spine Small Stress Lines
- Staple Rusted w/Rust Stained Interior
- Interior Heavy Tanning
- Bottom Right Front Cover Large Crease
- Top Right Front Cover Restoration Color Touch
- Left Center Back Cover Restoration Tear Seal
Grader Notes Fee
Grader Notes for collectibles that you submit are free (if available)! Free Grader Notes are available for most submissions from May 2012 to date. Earlier Grader Notes are available for a fee in the Verify CGC Certification tool.
To see if any collectibles in your submissions have Grader Notes, log in and click "My Submissions". Then click "View Status".
To purchase CGC Grader Notes for other collectibles, visit the Verify CGC Certification tool at CGCcomics.com/verify. The fee for CGC Grader Notes varies based on the tier the collectible was originally submitted under.
|Comics Submitted Under (Tier)||Dealer & Elite Fee||Regular Fee|
|Economy, Value and Modern||$4||$5|
|Standard and Express||$8||$10|
How do I buy CGC Grader Notes?
When you enter a certification number for a CGC-graded collectible in the free Verify CGC Certification tool, you will see if it has any Grader Notes. To unlock the Grader Notes, click the "Purchase CGC Grader Notes" button and fill in the required fields. CGC Dealers can expedite the process by logging in to have Grader Notes billed with their monthly statement.
CGC Grader Notes are sent to the email provided within one business day. If the Grader Notes form says that delivery will be INSTANT, the Grader Notes will appear immediately and also be sent by email.
- CGC Grader Notes are not entered for every CGC-certified collectible. They are entered at the discretion of CGC’s graders.
- CGC Grader Notes do not necessarily describe every defect on a CGC-certified collectible.
- Pre-screen submissions that do not meet the submitter’s minimum grade (i.e. “PreScreen rejects”) do not get CGC Grader Notes.