First X-Men and Thor Stand Out in ComicLink's September Auction
Posted on 9/12/2022
Marvel’s Silver Age continues to shine in recent auctions. Many Marvel grails are found in the Select, Key and High-Grade Silver, Bronze and Copper Age Comics sale at ComicLink. The auction begins closing items on September 19 and will end entirely on September 21, 2022.
At the forefront is an X-Men #1 graded CGC 5.5, from Marvel Comics in 1963. This issue was the debut of the X-Men team, which included Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Beast, Iceman and Angel, under the leadership of Professor Charles Xavier as they fought against the evil mutant Magneto. X-Men #1 has enjoyed increasing popularity in the market lately, with CGC-graded copies appearing in several recent auctions selling for five or six figures. Collectors’ renewed interest might be related to the recent hints of Marvel’s mutants soon joining the cinematic universe.
Another auction highlight is a Journey into Mystery #83 graded CGC 6.5 featuring the origin and first appearance of Marvel Comics’ Thor in 1962. Created by Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and Larry Lieber, and based on Norse mythology, Thor is the God of Thunder and the son of the Norse god Odin. He uses his abilities to defend Earth and his home, Asgard.
Other CGC-graded standouts in this auction include:
- an Amazing Fantasy #15 graded CGC 2.5 Restored
- an Amazing Spider-Man #14 graded CGC 7.5
- an Amazing Spider-Man #129 graded CGC 9.4
- an Amazing Spider-Man #300 graded CGC 9.8
- an Avengers #1 graded CGC 4.0
- a Batman #181 graded CGC 9.0
- a Detective Comics #359 graded CGC 8.0
- a Giant-Size X-Men #1 graded CGC 8.5
- an Incredible Hulk #181 graded CGC 6.0
- a Strange Tales #110 graded CGC 4.5
- an X-Men #12 graded CGC 8.0
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free CGC eNewsletter today!