CGC-certified Grateful Dead Concert Poster Sells for a Record $137,500
Posted on 4/18/2022
A 1960s concert posted that realized a record $137,500 was one of many historic music collectibles graded by Certified Guaranty Company® (CGC®) that sold in a recent auction. The Heritage Music Memorabilia Signature Auction was held on April 16, 2022.
The Grateful Dead poster, graded CGC 9.6 (lot 89102), is from the iconic band’s show at San Francisco’s Avalon Ballroom on Sept. 16-17, 1966. The sale was a record for its type, outpacing a poster graded CGC 9.8 when Heritage sold it for $118,750 in 2019.
|Grateful Dead, Oxford Circle, Avalan Ballroom, September 16-17, 1966 Original Poster graded CGC 9.6. Realized: $137,500 Click image to enlarge|
Several other CGC-certified items also sold for more than $10,000 in the April 2022 Heritage sale, including:
- a Beatles Final Concert, Candlestick Park, August 29, 1966 Original Poster graded CGC 9.2 (lot 89161) that realized $35,500
- a Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band, Avalon Ballroom, June 17-18, 1966 Original Poster graded CGC 9.8 (lot 89090) that realized $20,000.
- a Jefferson Airplane, Fillmore Auditorium, November 6, 1966 Original Poster graded CGC 9.6 (lot 89125) that realized $19,375
- a Bola Sete, Grateful Dead, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Mt. Tamalpais Outdoor Theater, October 8, 1966 Original Poster (lot 89116) graded CGC 9.6 that realized $17,500
- A Bo Diddley, Sonds of Adam, Little Walter, Longshoremen’s Hall & Avalon Ballroom, August 5-7, 1966 Original Poster graded CGC 9.8 (lot 89096) that realized $16,250.
- A Grateful Dead, Quicksilver Messenger Service, P.H. Phactor Jug Band, Crystal Ballroom, February 2-3, 1968 Original Poster graded CGC 9.8 (lot 89113) sold for $16,250.
Like comic books and trading cards, a lucrative collectibles market has developed around vintage concert posters. CGC, the world’s leading comic book certification and grading company since 1999, employs a 10-point grading scale for concert posters that is based on the industry standard the company established for comics, magazines and other collectibles. CGC-graded concert posters are inspected by at least two grading professionals to verify its authenticity and then sealed in tamper-evident holders of a heavy gauge archival plastic. The fully transparent front and back allow complete viewing of the poster and protect from any improper handling or soiling.
CGC currently accepts concert posters from some of the most highly coveted vintage poster series: Bill Graham, Bill Graham Presents, Family Dog, Grande Ballroom, Neon Rose, Art of Rock, New Fillmore Series and Moonalice. Posters must fit within a space 22.5 inches wide by 29.5 inches high.
Learn more about CGC’s concert poster certification services at CGCcomics.com/posters.
Price realized include buyer’s premium.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free CGC eNewsletter today!