Several CGC-certified Marvel Silver Age Books Expected to Sell for Six Figures
Posted on 8/3/2022
Many sought-after Silver Age Marvel comics that are graded by Certified Guaranty Company® (CGC®) are generating spirited bidding in a sale this month. Bidding for Heritage Auctions’ Key Comics Showcase Auction will conclude on August 4, 2022.
Leading the way is a fantastic Fantastic Four #1 graded CGC 8.5 (lot 82039). The book features the first appearance of the Fantastic Four – Reed Richards, Sue Storm, Johnny Storm and Ben Grimm. Released in 1961, this was the first modern Marvel Comics superhero title. Of more than 1,800 Universal copies of this issue recorded in the CGC Census, only 38 are in grade 8.5 or higher. Bidding on this item had already exceeded $100,000 several days before the auction.
Also available is an amazing Amazing Fantasy #15 graded CGC 7.5 (lot 82002). The 1962 book from Marvel Comics is famous for having the first appearance of Spider-Man. After his debut in this issue, Marvel Comics quickly gave Spider-Man his own series in 1963. Of more than 2,300 Universal copies of this issue recorded in the CGC Census, only 105 are in grade 7.5 or higher. Bidding on this item has also reached the six figures days before the sale.
Other CGC-graded highlights in the auction include:
- an Amazing Spider-Man #1 graded CGC 6.0 (lot 82004)
- a Daredevil #1 graded CGC 9.0 (lot 82033)
- a Fantastic Four #1 graded CGC 5.5 (lot 82040)
- an Incredible Hulk #1 graded CGC 7.0 (lot 82060)
- an Incredible Hulk #1 graded CGC 6.0 (lot 82061)
- a Journey Into Mystery #85 graded CGC 9.4 (lot 82070)
- a Tales of Suspense #39 graded CGC 8.5 (lot 82097)
- a Tales of Suspense #39 graded CGC 7.5 (lot 82098)
- an X-Men #1 graded CGC 9.0 (lot 82106)
- an X-Men #1 graded CGC 7.0 (lot 82107)