Two CGC-graded Batman Grails Each Sell for Over $250,000
Posted on 9/14/2022
Three comics graded by Certified Guaranty Company® (CGC®) sold for more than a quarter-million dollars each during Heritage Auctions' Comics and Comic Art Signature Auction on September 8-11, 2022. A Detective Comics #27 graded CGC 7.0 Restored (lot 91041) sold for $384,000; a Fantastic Four #1 graded CGC 9.0 (lot 91044) sold for $288,000; and a Batman #1 graded CGC 3.5 (lot 91035) sold for $264,000.
Detective Comics #27 features the first appearance of Batman in 1939, while Batman #1 is the first solo-Batman title in 1940 and features the first appearance of Joker and Catwoman. Fantastic Four #1 is the first appearance of the Fantastic Four (Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Girl, Human Torch and Thing) in 1961.
According to GoCollect, this Batman #1 CGC 3.5 set a new record for its grade, which previously sold for $143,000. GoCollect also reports that the Captain America #117 graded CGC 9.8 (the first appearance of Falcon) that realized $78,000 in this auction set a new record for its title. Meanwhile, a Showcase #22 graded CGC 8.5 (the first appearance of Silver Age Green Lantern) set a new grade-level record for this issue at $93,000.
Other CGC-graded highlights in this auction included:
- an X-Men #1 graded CGC 9.2 that realized $186,000 (lot 91057)
- a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 graded CGC 9.8 that realized $186,000 (lot 91054)
- a Captain America Comics #1 graded CGC 5.0 that realized $180,000 (lot 91039)
- a Fantastic Four #5 graded CGC 9.2 that realized $180,000 (lot 91045)
- an All-Star Comics #8 graded CGC 7.0 that realized $168,000 (lot 91032)
- an Incredible Hulk #181 graded CGC 9.8 that realized $138,000 (lot 91049)
- a Daredevil #1 graded CGC 9.6 that realized $111,000 (lot 91040)
- a Hero for Hire #1 graded CGC 9.8 that realized $102,000 (lot 92157)
Prices realized include a buyer’s premium.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free CGC eNewsletter today!