CGC Registry Featured Set: Sweet Lou's Marvel Silver Age 1st Appearances Collection
Posted on 9/1/2023
This month’s featured set is Sweet Lou's Marvel Silver Age 1st Appearances Collection by CGC Comics Registry Member Sweet Lou 14, featuring the first appearances of Marvel Comics’ most recognizable heroes that helped turn the Silver Age into the Marvel Age of comics!
|Click images to enlarge.|
Marvel Comics began in the Golden Age when Timely Publications, a precursor to Marvel, was founded by Martin Goodman in 1939. However, it wasn't until the Silver Age that Marvel as we know it today truly took shape.
In 1961, under the guidance of writer-editor Stan Lee and artists such as Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, Marvel rebranded itself with a new approach to superheroes. The launch of Fantastic Four #1 marked the beginning of the Marvel Universe. This title featured flawed, relatable characters with personal struggles, setting a new standard for character depth in the industry. This innovation continued with the creation of Spider-Man, who dealt with real-life problems alongside his crime-fighting endeavors. The Amazing Spider-Man series, debuting in 1962, became an instant hit and solidified Marvel's reputation for storytelling that resonated with readers.
The 1960s and '70s saw a creative explosion at Marvel. Characters like the X-Men, Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, and the Avengers were introduced, each bringing unique powers and complex backgrounds to the ever-expanding Marvel Universe.
Just a few of the books in this amazing collection include:
- Amazing Fantasy #15 graded CGC 5.0 with the first appearance of Spider-Man
- Amazing Spider-Man #50 graded CGC 9.4 with the first appearance of Kingpin
- Avengers #1 graded CGC 9.0 with the first appearance of the Avengers
- Avengers #57 graded CGC 9.4 with the first appearance of Vision
- Captain America #117 graded CGC 9.6 with the first appearance of Falcon
- Daredevil #1 graded CGC 9.4 with the first appearance of Daredevil
- Fantastic Four #5 graded CGC 9.0 with the first appearance of Dr. Doom
- Fantastic Four #38 graded CGC 9.4 with the first appearance of Galactus
- Fantastic Four #52 graded CGC 9.4 with the first appearance of Black Panther
- Incredible Hulk #1 graded CGC 8.0 with the first appearance of the Hulk
- Journey into Mystery #83 graded CGC 8.0 with the first appearance of Thor
- Strange Tales #110 graded CGC 9.0 with the first appearance of Dr. Strange
- Tales of Suspense #39 graded CGC 9.0 with the first appearance of Iron Man
- X-Men #1 graded CGC 9.0 with the first appearance of the X-Men
About the CGC Comics Registry
The CGC Comics Registry is a place where comic book collectors come together to share their collections and knowledge with one another. It's a valuable resource for new collectors and experienced fans alike, with a wide range of collections on display. To participate, all you need is a free CGC Collectors account. The group is an online community developed to increase the choices, convenience and education available to collectors.
The CGC Registry has grown to over 100,000 registered sets in the last year! There are now more than 625,000 books registered and it is thrilling to see the steady, continued growth of the CGC Registry. To learn more about how to navigate the CGC Registry, click here.
Since revolutionizing comic book grading in 2000, CGC has grown to include certification services for many other types of pop culture collectibles. These divisions include CGC Cards, CGC Video Games and CGC Home Video. CGC Cards provides expert card grading for TCGs, sports cards and non-sports cards. CGC Video Games is dedicated to video game grading for the most popular consoles, including Nintendo, Sega, Atari, PlayStation and more. The newest division of CGC, CGC Home Video, provides expert VHS grading in addition to other types of videocassettes.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free CGC eNewsletter today!