CGC Special Labels for Silver Foils from New Zealand Mint
Posted on 1/30/2020
Certified Guaranty Company® (CGC®) and the New Zealand Mint have partnered to create a special CGC certification labels for the Mint’s series of silver foils based on well-known comic book covers and science fiction movie posters.
These fascinating collectibles are made from 35 grams (1.125 ounces) of .999 fine silver yet are paper-thin. They measure 175 x 262 mm (6.9 x 10.3 inches). The Premium Silver Foils have a denomination of $2 and are legal currency in Niue.
|LEFT: Detective Comics #27 Pure Silver Foil encapsulated with the DC logo. RIGHT: Stars Wars: A New Hope Premium Silver Foil, encapsulated with the Star Wars logo.
Click images to enlarge.
CGC grades these foils according to its industry-standard 10-point grading scale. The highest grade, Gem Mint 10, is assigned to collectibles that appear flawless. It is approximately equivalent to a grade of 70 on the Sheldon numismatic grading scale used by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) and Paper Money Guaranty (PMG), two independent affiliates of CGC.
NGC, PMG and CGC are the leading and largest third-party grading services in their categories, having graded more than 41 million coins, 3 million notes and 4.5 million comic books, respectively.
Foils received by CGC within the first 30 days after the New Zealand Mint’s first release of that foil will be assigned the Early Releases designation by default. If you would prefer the First Releases designation or no designation, please follow the instructions below. The Early Releases and First Releases designations are used by NGC and PMG to capture the excitement of a newly issued collectible and have become very popular with many hobbyists. There is no additional fee for CGC’s assignment of these designations, if applicable.
After grading, the foils are encapsulated in CGC’s protective holder with an exclusive blue and silver CGC Universal Grade label featuring a related logo (DC Comics, Star Trek or Star Wars) that has been officially licensed by the New Zealand Mint. All submitters of these foils receive the special CGC label automatically for no additional fee.
IMPORTANT: Below is a list of Early Release and First Release cutoff dates. For a complete list of these cutoff dates, click here.
The grading fee for these foils is $25. Submitters of 25 or more foils at the same time pay a grading fee of only $20 each. Due to the special nature of this label, Collectors Society and Authorized Dealer discounts are not available.
The foils must be submitted with a CGC submission form. In addition to eligible CGC submitters, paid NGC and PMG Collectors Society members are eligible to submit these foils to CGC. NGC and PMG Authorized Dealers should contact CGC Customer Service to find out how they can submit to CGC.
Please follow the special instructions below.
- At CGCcomics.com, click on the Submit Comics pulldown menu and choose Submission Forms.
- Collectors Society members should log in using their email address on file with NGC, PMG or CGC. CGC Authorized Dealers should log in using their CGC dealer number.
- Next to the Comics/Magazines section, click the Online Form link.
- Select Comic. Select how you wish to submit. Then select Grading, and click Next.
- Select your quantity and then enter your title. Enter New Zealand Mint for the publisher and New Zealand as the country. Click Next.
- The grading fee is $25 per foil (or $20 for orders of 25 or more). Select the Modern Grading tier, but keep in mind CGC will later adjust your fee to the correct amount.
- Proceed through checkout. Please submit foil orders separately from other collectibles.
- On your packing slip, please indicate FIRST RELEASES if you want that designation on your label or NO DESIGNATION if you do not want a designation. (All foils received within the first 30 days will receive the Early Releases designation by default.) There is no additional fee for First Releases or Early Releases designations, but please note that only those foils that are received by CGC within 30 days of the foil’s release date are eligible to receive these designations (see chart here).
- On your packing slip, write RETURN PACKAGING if you want your original mint packaging returned. There is a fee of $5 plus shipping costs per submission form for this option.
- Mail your Submission Forms with your securely packaged foils to CGC. It is recommended that the foils be kept flat; do not insert the foils into tube-like packaging.
Questions? Call CGC Customer Service at 941-360-3991 or use the online contact form at CGCcomics.com/contact
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free CGC eNewsletter today!