CGC Welcomes Back Jim Starlin, Acclaimed Comic Book Artist and Writer, for His First Solo In-House Private Signing
Posted on 5/12/2021
CGC is thrilled to announce another fantastic In-House Private Signing with legendary comic book artist and writer Jim Starlin. This will be Starlin’s first solo signing with CGC, and we are beyond excited to host him!
After writing and drawing stories for a number of fan publications, Jim Starlin entered the comic world in 1972, working for other renowned names such as Roy Thomas. Starlin was part of the generation of artists and writers who grew up as fans of Silver Age Marvel Comics. He then continued to share his passion with the rest of the world.
Starlin is best known for space opera stories, revamping the Marvel Comics characters Captain Marvel and Adam Warlock; and for creating the Marvel characters Thanos, Drax the Destroyer, Gamora and Shang-Chi. Starlin later teamed with DC Comics and drew many of their iconic characters such as Darkseid. He also created his own character Dreadstar for Epic Illustrated.
In the late 1980s, Starlin became the writer of Batman, and one of his first storylines for the title was “Ten Nights of The Beast” in issues #417- #420, which introduced the KGBeast. Other projects for DC included writing The Weird and Cosmic Odyssey.
“Our entire CGC Signature Series team has been buzzing about this upcoming signing, and we are so excited to share this exclusive event with fans” exclaimed Brittany McManus, CGC Signature Series Director. “Starlin has been an absolute legend in the comic world for years, which means we are certain that fans will be ecstatic to hear this announcement.”
For this exclusive event, ALL CGC members — that includes free CGC members — can submit books directly to CGC headquarters in Sarasota, Florida. CGC must receive all submissions for this event by Friday, June 25, 2021.
If the CGC In-House Private Signing needs to be rescheduled, CGC will securely store all submissions in its vault until the event can be rescheduled.
After Jim Starlin signs the submitted books, CGC will grade and encapsulate them with an estimated turnaround time of six weeks. If CCS pressing is also requested, the turnaround time is estimated at eight weeks. After grading and encapsulation, the collectibles will be shipped back to their owners.
The CGC In-House Private Signing fee for Jim Starlin is $75 per item and includes:
- Jim Starlin’s signature
- Estimated turnaround time of six weeks for CGC grading
- Estimated turnaround time of eight weeks for CGC grading and CCS pressing (an additional $20 fee applies for CCS pressing)
- Encapsulation with the iconic yellow CGC Signature Series label
For this CGC In-House Private Signing event, you can ship submissions directly to CGC with a FREE membership. Paid memberships are also available and include additional benefits. For more information and to join, visit CGCcomics.com/join.
To submit books for the signing:
- Log onto your account or sign up for an account HERE.
- Click Submit in the CGC website navigation and select Submission Forms.
- Next to Comics / Magazines, select Online Form.
- Select Comic or Magazine from the drop-down menu, then select Private Signing and one of the following from the dropdown menu section:
JIM STARLIN, IN-HOUSE SIGNING from the dropdown menu in that section.
- Under Services, select Grading and, if you would like it, Pressing. Then hit Next in the top right section of the form.
- Enter the information requested for your comic, and make sure to check the box next to JIM STARLIN under Private Signing Details.
- On the next screen, you can add one of CGC’s custom Marvel labels to your submission for qualifying books.
- Select Add to Cart, and then repeat if there are additional books in your submission. If there are no additional books in your submission, click on the cart icon and proceed to checkout.
- Note: If you want to submit magazines, please group them together on their own private signing form separate from comic submissions. The same rule applies for any custom labels. Please group them together on their own private signing form separate from non-custom labels. To see the available labels, click HERE .
- Put ALL ungraded books in window bags or they will not be accepted. You can purchase window bags HERE .
- Books that are already certified by CGC, including CGC Signature Series books, can be submitted for this event. CGC will remove a CGC-certified book from its holder for an additional $5 fee.
- Carefully package books in a box for shipment. If you need a CGC shipping kit, they can be purchased HERE .
- IMPORTANT: Please write JS on all sides of the box.
- Books will be received into CGC’s system when they arrive and will be safely stored by CGC until the event. (Please note: Payments are processed as they normally are at the time of the collectibles’ arrival at CGC.)
- Once books are signed, they will start an expedited CGC grading process.
All submissions must be received by CGC no later than Friday, June 25, 2021, to qualify for this CGC In-House Private Signing event. No change requests will be accepted after Friday, June 25, 2021.
Membership credits cannot be applied to CGC In-House Private Signings.
*No Multi-Sigs included with other signings.
**If you submit a CGC-graded collectible that needs to be removed from its original holder by CGC, the collectible will need to go through the certification and encapsulation process again, and there is no guarantee that it will receive the same grade.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free CGC eNewsletter today!