Holy $1.12 Million! Another CGC-certified Batman Comic Realizes Seven Figures
Posted on 6/18/2021
Graded by Certified Guaranty Company® (CGC®), a copy of the comic book that features Batman’s debut realized an astounding $1.12 million, taking top honors in a Heritage Auctions sale. Other CGC-certified comic books also impressed at the Comics & Comic Art Signature Auction held on June 17, 2021.
“Yes, Father. I shall become a [million-dollar] bat.”
The Detective Comics #27 graded CGC 5.0 (lot 91005) is just the latest CGC-certified comic book to realize seven figures. Heritage sold another Detective Comics #27 graded CGC 7.0 for $1.5 million in November 2020. With a cover date of May 1939, issues of Detective Comics #27 are cherished by the collecting world because they feature the first appearance of Batman as well as Commissioner Gordon.
Still more powerful than a locomotive
Meanwhile, an Action Comics #1 graded CGC Conserved 5.5 and pedigreed to the Jon Berk Collection (lot 91001) realized $528,000. The June 1938 comic book features the origin and first appearance of Superman, as well as the first appearance of Lois Lane. Earlier this year, ComicConnect announced that another Actions Comics #1, that one graded CGC 8.5, realized $3.25 million in a private a sale — a record for any comic book.
|Action Comics #1 graded CGC Conserved 5.5 and pedigreed to the Jon Berk Collection. Realized: $528,000
Click images to enlarge.
Other CGC-certified highlights in the sale included:
- a Marvel Spotlight #5 graded CGC 9.8 (lot 91011) that realized $264,000
- a Fantastic Four #48 graded CGC 9.8 (lot 91007) that realized $108,000
- a Silver Surfer #4 graded CGC 9.8 (lot 91017) that realized $90,000
- a Detectives Comics #38 graded CGC 5.0 (lot 91006) that realized $78,000
- a Whiz Comics #2 (#1) graded CGC 3.0 (lot 91020) that realized $78,000
- a Giant-Size X-Men #1 graded CGC 9.8 (lot 91008) that realized $72,000
- an Action Comics #7 graded CGC 2.0 (lot 91002) that realized $60,000
All prices realized include the buyer’s premium
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free CGC eNewsletter today!