Rare Pokémon Cards Certified by CGC Trading Cards Take Center Stage in Heritage Auction
Posted on 10/29/2021
A test print Blastoise that has been called one of the rarest Pokémon cards in existence is one of the top lots in the Heritage Auctions’ Trading Card Games Auction #7264. Online bidding is already underway for the Nov. 6-7, 2021 sale, which includes hundreds of trading cards certified by CGC.
One of only six such cards authenticated by CGC Trading Cards, the Test Print Blastoise represents one of the first attempts by Wizards of the Coast (WotC) to create English Pokémon cards. The Blastoise Pokémon (1998) Test Print (Gold Border) #009/165R with Magic: The Gathering Back graded CGC 6.5 (lot 36108) has already seen bidding surpass $13,000 more than a week before the sale.
| Blastoise #009/165R Test Print (Gold Border) Foil with Magic: The Gathering back
from the Pokémon (1998) Set graded CGC 6.5
Click images to enlarge.
The card features Blastoise art that was used on a Japanese promo card and on the front of the popular Gameboy game, Pokémon Blue. The artwork on the card is by Ken Sugimori, a Japanese video game designer, illustrator, manga artist and director who is best known as the primary character designer and art director for the Pokémon franchise. Its back is from Magic: The Gathering, another WotC game that was already well established by the late 1990s.
Another highly desirable card in the sale comes from the Tropical Mega Battle Tournament, which took place in Hawaii annually from 1999 through 2001. Top players from around the world were invited to compete, and each was given a custom, ultra-rare promotional card for participating. This 2000 Lucky Stadium Japanese Unnumbered Promo graded CGC 8.5 (lot 36246) is one of these super-rare cards.
| Lucky Stadium Trainer from the Pokémon (2000) Tropical Mega Battle Promo set
graded CGC 8.5
Click images to enlarge.
Designed by Kouichi Ooyama and depicting a Staryu taking in the sun at the beach, the card had already surpassed $15,000 more than a week before the sale.
- a Pokémon (2002) VS Tropical Mega Battle Complete Deck graded from CGC 5.5 to CGC 8.5 (lot 36077) (Read an article about this set here.)
- a Pokémon (1999) First Edition Base Set Complete Trading Card Set graded from CGC 8 to CGC 9 (lot 36117)
- a Blastoise Missing Holo Layer Error from the Pokémon (1999) Shadowless Base Set graded CGC 5 (lot 36119)
- a Charizard from the Pokémon (1999) First Edition Base Set graded CGC 9 (lot 36113)
- a Charizard from the Pokémon (1999) First Edition Base Set graded CGC 8 (lot 36114)
- a Charizard from the Pokémon (1999) First Edition Base Set graded CGC 7.5 (lot 37067)
Other CGC Trading Cards-certified Magic: The Gathering cards featured in the auction include:
- a Mox Sapphire from the Magic: The Gathering 1993 Unlimited Edition graded CGC 8 (lot 36006)
- a Mox Emerald from the Magic: The Gathering 1993 Beta Edition graded CGC 5 (lot 36001)
- a Mox Jet from the Magic: The Gathering 1993 Beta Edition graded CGC 5.5 (lot 36002)
- a Time Walk from the Magic: The Gathering 1993 Unlimited Edition graded CGC 6 (lot 37012)
- a Timetwister from the Magic: The Gathering 1993 Unlimited Edition graded CGC 5.5 (lot 37011)
- a Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale from the Magic: The Gathering 1994 Legends Edition graded CGC 8 (lot 36010)
Pokémon and Magic: The Gathering cards represent a rapidly growing segment of the collectibles market. To meet collector demand for expert and impartial authentication and grading services, CGC Trading Cards was established in mid-2020 by Certified Guaranty Company® (CGC®), the world-leading comic book certification service.
- CGC Trading Cards Certifies Four Extremely Rare Pokémon Test Print Blastoise Cards
- After Certification by CGC Trading Cards, Pokémon Test Print Blastoise Blasts to $360,000 at Auction
- Pokémon-Magic Mash-up Certified by CGC Trading Cards Offered in July Auction
- Pokémon Card Certified by CGC Trading Cards Realizes $216,000 in July Sale
- CGC Trading Cards Certifies Extremely Rare Pokémon English VS Set Cards from 2001 Tropical Mega Battle
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free CGC eNewsletter today!